Discuss Medusa t2801 generator help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

Austin31611

Hi all,
My generator is only putting out about 50v when I start it up. After revving it for a bit it puts out 100v, but obviously still not enough for my 110v drills. It's quite old but don't really want to get rid of it. Anyone able to help with what's wrong with it?

TIA

Austin

Two listings I saw for this suggest that it is brushless. In this case the fault is probably either the AVR or the excitation capacitor. You will likely need electronics knowledge and a multimeter to troubleshoot...

Two listings I saw for this suggest that it is brushless. In this case the fault is probably either the AVR or the excitation capacitor. You will likely need electronics knowledge and a multimeter to troubleshoot...

Oh dear definitely not the brushes then.. :)

I agree with luciens suggestions, the most common being the capacitor.
As well as the regulator being faulty you may have winding issues.
Capacitor is easy enough to test with an anlogue ohm meter. Take precautions first.

Hi dude,if it was running at normal RPM when giving 50v, don't go revving it,you could damage various other items,including,on Kohler engines,bursting the bob weight carrier on the governor...

Get the capacitor tested,and if it still has legible spec,note it down and e-bay a spare.

Windings and switching are easy enough to check,with appropriate test equipment,AVR and other control systems,not so easily...Good hunting :icon12:

PS; I've just googled these,and no engine manufacturer is given...this tells me where it is from...and that your efforts may prove futile...

Last edited:
One things for sure if this is one of those cheap small site generators it won't be fitted with an AVR.

Reply to Medusa t2801 generator help! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock