Discuss Megger MFT 1720 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

StevieTee

Guys,

Looking for MFT of my own now. Took the jump and started working on my own now. Been googling on ebay for MFT as didn't really fancy paying the full whack for a brand new one.

Seen on ebay, guy selling a used Megger MFT 1720 for £460. I used one of these in my previously work, done the job alright I thought.

Think ebay is trust worthy for buying testers? I know thats like asking "how long is a piece of string" but, incase anyone has had any bother before.

Or would anyone suggest another tester? Ive read a few post, Megger 1553 comes up often.

cheers.

Always an element of risk involved. Make sure it has calibration cert or make sure price reflects lack of calibration. If it is calibrated perhaps you can ask to see a picture of the cert and the corresponding serial number from the MFT as some kind of security

1553 does everything you need. get one cheaper than 1720. with ebay, chances are it could be duff or stolen. make sure you buy from a seller with a lot of + feedback.

Seen a few 1552's on ebay. Cant find what the difference are between that and the 1553. Ive emailed the seller for a pic of the certificate with the serial number to make sure they match.

Found a few MFT's on ebay. All seem good price but none show serial numbers. I rmailed the sellers but they are not willing to show a picture of the serial number.

Thoughts?

Checked the feed back, the seller have't sold much, but good feedback. Mostly tools they've sold... Starting to doint them though

basic difference between 1552 and 1553 is the 1553 has the bluetooth download which is a load of pants anyway. both will do auto rcd and rcd ramp plus the usual tests. neither do phase rotation though, if that;s a problem.

Won a bid on ebay for a megger mft 1720 at £513. It was calibrated 2 weeks ago and I seen the calibration certificate. All looks good, does anyone think the price is good?

I'm quite happy with my Metrel.
Buy one brand new for the price of a second hand Megger.
Got phase rotation as well.
No good for RCDs they use for PV though.

Last edited by a moderator:
To E-bay or not to E-bay...50-50 experience/luck i reckon...A while back,i had the need for a 1720,and bid on several,the one i ended up with turned out calibrated,complete and mint,but a roll of the dice could have landed me with any of the others...The new model (1735) may have pushed the resale value south,in the other marques,which in no way lessens their worth. Not ever being a drinker or smoker,my addiction seems to have been tools and kit.This has always been the case,regardless of need or work type. I found the 1720 an excellent and easy tool to use,one evening playing about,and the Megger Crib-card,to hand,which comes with it,was all that was required. I have chatted to lads who own the same model,who never realised it possessed certain features,or maybe,just didn't need them. Spend your money on good kit,it has ALWAYS repaid me,eventually. :conehead:

Reply to Megger MFT 1720 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net