Discuss Metal boards, glands, switchgear... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon all...

Just having a quick lunch break and thought I'd try and confirm some of my thoughts surrounding ammendement 3.

1. Am I right in saying that it is ok to use a normal grommet for all cables entering the metal CU as long as they are both a) entering the enclosure from the sides, back or bottom.

2. Also, an insulated gland (wiska) should be used : a) If the cables are entering the CU from above or b) for the tails if it's a TT.

3. I have just fitted a KMF switch for a rewire (actually fitted in december but haven't signed off yet!), this is plastic, it is in an outside meter box, should this switch be metal? I suppose it should, does it being outside the premise help my case? Does anyone else still fit these or do you use the big metal wylex switch fuses now?

Cheers.

Last edited:
1. Yes, not 100% on the entry point though. IP ratings spring to mind.
2. If TT use gland.
3. Contentious! But installed and designed pre amd3 so not much of an issue in my view mate. For domestic it's detached outbuildings where insulated is OK without fp enclosure. The cabinet is not detached so should be metal clad in my view.

Get it notified ASAP!

1. Yes, not 100% on the entry point though. IP ratings spring to mind.
2. If TT use gland.
3. Contentious! But installed and designed pre amd3 so not much of an issue in my view mate. For domestic it's detached outbuildings where insulated is OK without fp enclosure. The cabinet is not detached so should be metal clad in my view.

Get it notified ASAP!

Im sure it applies if its an out building, detached garage, etc

Im sure it applies if its an out building, detached garage, etc

I recall reading if the board/switchgear was in a detached building away from the main house then plastic was still good to go. May have been general guidance from IET or similar rather than being set out in 7671. Can't remember to be honest. I also recall something in some wording saying the detached outbuilding had to be a reasonable distance from the house....and I thought at the time how far is considered reasonable.

Last edited:
Using the top is o/k with grommets if you have trunking up to the unit and covering the holes too , or even run along the top of the unit again covering all the holes

1) You can use anything you like,as long as the IP ratings are achieved, IP2X sides & bottom, IP4X top.
2) Ditto above. IET/Schemes/Manufacturers recommend the use of Wiska etc glands when fitting metal CU with TT supply.
3) I'm with TheGayOwl on this one; posted this video before. Covers most FAQ's on A3 CU (including (3)). Sound is pants at the start, but otherwise worth a butchers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJvLT7uwO58

1) You can use anything you like,as long as the IP ratings are achieved, IP2X sides & bottom, IP4X top.
2) Ditto above. IET/Schemes/Manufacturers recommend the use of Wiska etc glands when fitting metal CU with TT supply.
3) I'm with TheGayOwl on this one; posted this video before. Covers most FAQ's on A3 CU (including (3)). Sound is pants at the start, but otherwise worth a butchers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJvLT7uwO58

Aaaahh, that's where I heard it from. Some interesting bits in that video if I remember correctly. May watch again tonight as not seen it since the summer. Amazes me that the institute of ENGINEERING and TECHNOLOGY failed to get the sound correct, haha!

Reply to Metal boards, glands, switchgear... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net