Discuss metal capping not needed according to 17th in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't do domestic work so it's not a big deal but I've never seen oval conduit, I don't think it's available locally. Is it fairly new in the UK or has it been around a while?

Interesting to see how others do it. We go to the effort of drilling, plugging and fixing the oval to the wall with galvanised steel band on new builds and existing properties

Last edited:
This side of the pond its 20mm conduit that's generally used, chased into the wall of course. You'd get some strange looks if you turned up with capping or just clipped them into the track.

Interesting to see how others do it. We go to the effort of drilling, plugging and fixing the oval to the wall with galvanised steel band on new builds and existing properties
Either wedge it in or a little bit of bonding will do the trick in a hell of a lot less time

Interesting to see how others do it. We go to the effort of drilling, plugging and fixing the oval to the wall with galvanised steel band on. Ew builds and existing.

i guess others work as tight to the regs as possible to save time and money. if you dont fit capping and use clips its a massive time saving as well as a cash saving of not buying the stuff,
its understandable.
my working practice includes pointless waste of time capping

i guess others work as tight to the regs as possible to save time and money. if you dont fit capping and use clips its a massive time saving as well as a cash saving of not buying the stuff,
its understandable.
my working practice includes pointless waste of time capping

I've found oval conduit to be quicker than clipping in to chases. I use capping on new/unplastered walls.

There's no sense using capping in chases as you have to make the chases so much wider.

I've found oval conduit to be quicker than clipping in to chases. I use capping on new/unplastered walls.

There's no sense using capping in chases as you have to make the chases so much wider.

yes it does make sense and as you put it, if the chase is nice and tight to the cables then damage is unlikely.
its quite funny how people like me get set in there ways. I also screw and plug it lol

the makers of oval tube also make the clips to fix it with. 1 plug& screw per clip then snap the tube in. sssiimplesss.

the makers of oval tube also make the clips to fix it with. 1 plug& screw per clip then snap the tube in. sssiimplesss.

I've seen them for sale but not used them as thought they may hold it off the wall and have to chase deeper. How have you found them to be? I have always used 1 1/2 x 8 screws and reds plugs or sometimes clout nails to hold it back on edges before plastering.

Yeah it's never going to stop a nail when this is what's used to secure it in the 1st place, I think a lot of newbies forget that small detail!!

I also have never used it , what use is it , cables have to be run in prescribed zones , pvc oval capping is what I use, see no use for it myself...

One thing I have noticed when I have seen it is the very sharp edges on the ends of the capping , not good , when I noticed it already in place I had to bend the edge outwards and tape the edge up , I would and never have used it ...

Reply to metal capping not needed according to 17th in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net