Discuss metal capping not needed according to 17th in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

The odd time I have used it, due to it being part of someone else's spec, I normally double over about two inch on both ends of the capping, this gives a smooth edge. Other than that, I don't use it. Don't see the point.

Jay

Csn't believe theres another thread about this....

The only time I think it is warranted is if the wall the cables are being clipped to is going to be plastered DIRECTLY onto the wall.

Dot and dabbed, then no point.

cutting a groove and rewiring, as has been said, no point.

Nowt to do with mechanical protection, or for detectors. You get plastci capping.

it is just to stop the spreads trowel damaging the cables!

The lack of knowledge of that small point still astounds me, not just in our trade but also decorators, builders, plumbers, chippies, I even explained to (admittedly the best Ive ever met) a builder once as he was adamant it should be there and he still walked off muttering

"well I like to see it....."

well he wasnt paying for it or the extra time required for its completely pointless installation.....

How do you guys fix the oval conduit to the wall? I have never used it and tend to use capping on jobs where i don't know the plasterer and when working along side a couple of plasterers i know locally then as Trev said, i prefer and they prefer a small neat chase!
conduit and use crampets to fix to the wall, quicker than capping.

Any form of nail knocking brick bashing activity is bound to give me a head ache, whenever i use capping i don't even bother with the capping nails at all, i have a small tub full of 1.5" 8s with penny washers on and red plugs, capping on the wall, sharpie down each side, 6 x hammer drill, plug screw job done.

What are those crampets like at sticking in a wall?

Any form of nail knocking brick bashing activity is bound to give me a head ache, whenever i use capping i don't even bother with the capping nails at all, i have a small tub full of 1.5" 8s with penny washers on and red plugs, capping on the wall, sharpie down each side, 6 x hammer drill, plug screw job done.

What are those crampets like at sticking in a wall?
? ---- that.

you dont need plugs in thermalite blocks screw straight in, they cut them with a woodsaw afterall

One thing I have noticed when I have seen it is the very sharp edges on the ends of the capping , not good , when I noticed it already in place I had to bend the edge outwards and tape the edge up , I would and never have used it ...

Just use plastic capping, it's cheaper, has no sharp edges and does the same job

? ---- that.

you dont need plugs in thermalite blocks screw straight in, they cut them with a woodsaw afterall

And in two years of being on my own i have come across thermalite...twice! Once on a a job i started in December and another on a job i started last week! Everything else is @#@2~@ Accy Nori!

So again, what's the point of metal capping, other than to waste money on it?

You have not included preparation,it may also need to be painted with red oxide paint before fitting
icon6.png

Although we don't use it here I know what capping is for. I just can't work out what metal capping would be for at all though, it just seems pointless.

Reply to metal capping not needed according to 17th in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net