Discuss Metal Consumer Unit - Cable entries? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
If you are unable to attach a gland to the consumer unit due to having limited space above it (which is where the cables run down) what can you attach or use for the cable entries? Silicone, bush and lock nut?

Same methods as with a plastic consumer unit as the IP ratings required for enclosures have not altered. Trunking, boxwork, or blind grommets would all be on my list way above a hole gunked up with silicone sealant.

Thanks guys. Wasn't sure on what is/isn't acceptable as the property I'm rewiring will most likely be up for nic inspection. What's confusing me is that metal boards now have to be fitted but plastic can still be used for cable entries. What is the point in that? Or is it just me misunderstanding why the ammendment has been made?

Various threads on this subject for some time now. Reg 421.1.201 requires non combustible CU (domestic properties), non ferrous metal is deemed to be a way of achieving that. No mentioned or recommendation of using metal glands, but you can if you want. Only requirement, as it has previously been required, is to maintain the applicable IP ratings. Therefore bespoke glands or blind grommets as has been suggested, trunking, or utilise rear entry for cables. It is only the CU (or similar switch gear assemblies) that now has to be metal, not the method of entry.

Last edited:
If you are unable to attach a gland to the consumer unit due to having limited space above it (which is where the cables run down) what can you attach or use for the cable entries? Silicone, bush and lock nut?

I've just been having a similar dilemma and there are actually many different options for maintaining the IP rating when coming in from above SS. See the link to the thread below, but it really just covers what has already been said above although perhaps in a bit more detail. I especially like the video in post 19 which gives you a few options for top entry in order to maintain the IP4X requirement. Saying that, I did exactly as Murdoch has said in post 4 of this thread and just put 2 pieces of 3x2 battens behind, nice bit of plywood for the CU to go on and then brought the cables in through the back therefore negating the need for the IP4X requirement.

I did still use a wiska gland for the tails and main earth though (on the side), which maybe a thought for you if this is a TT (although to be honest I think a 40mm stuffing gland would have sufficed).

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...09474-maintaining-ip4x-top-entry-into-cu.html

Last edited:

Reply to Metal Consumer Unit - Cable entries? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net