Discuss Metal consumer units and TT in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I know this has been done to death but I had my annual assessment with Elecsa a little while ago and the assessor told me that Elecsa would find it acceptable to fit an S type RCD in a plastic enclosure before entering the consumer unit.

I double checked this with him to confirm and he said either this way or directly into the consumer unit with a suitable stuffing gland.

Anybody else had the same guidance on their site visit? I was under the impression that this wasn't recommended (even though Wylex had it in one of their videos at one time). The IET need to pull their finger out and clarify whether or not this is 'similar equipment' imo.

I know this has been done to death but I had my annual assessment with Elecsa a little while ago and the assessor told me that Elecsa would find it acceptable to fit an S type RCD in a plastic enclosure before entering the consumer unit.

I double checked this with him to confirm and he said either this way or directly into the consumer unit with a suitable stuffing gland.

Anybody else had the same guidance on their site visit? I was under the impression that this wasn't recommended (even though Wylex had it in one of their videos at one time). The IET need to pull their finger out and clarify whether or not this is 'similar equipment' imo.

My NICEIC assessor said its not acceptable and they are the same group.

I was surprised when he said it to be honest. To be fair he's a nice guy and knowledgeable but Certsure need to get their act together on this too!

To be honest, I consider this whole plastic/metal CU thing to be a farce.
The NICEIC used to condemn wooden backed CUs as a fire risk. So why are fire doors made of wood?
Now we are being told that plastic CUs (which the NICEIC wanted the wooden backed CUs to be replaced with) are unsafe and must be replaced with metal CUs, but only in domestic installations.
The DNO's are upgrading their metal heads to plastic, and have been taken to court because of house fires caused by faults in metal heads which have not been replaced.
Now it's OK to have a plastic enclosure for up front RCDs but the CU has to be metal.

To be honest, I consider this whole plastic/metal CU thing to be a farce.
The NICEIC used to condemn wooden backed CUs as a fire risk. So why are fire doors made of wood?
Now we are being told that plastic CUs (which the NICEIC wanted the wooden backed CUs to be replaced with) are unsafe and must be replaced with metal CUs, but only in domestic installations.
The DNO's are upgrading their metal heads to plastic, and have been taken to court because of house fires caused by faults in metal heads which have not been replaced.
Now it's OK to have a plastic enclosure for up front RCDs but the CU has to be metal.
it's things like this that make you wish you'd taken up plumbing instead. :hippy:

Nice point about the plastic DNO heads and what about a bit of MDF to seal the top, sound job. Of course you can put the separate rcd in an all insulated enclosure so long as you then further enclose it in a fire proof enclosure which may well then need earthing and additional rcd protection, need I go on. The whole situation is a farce, once upon a time the PVC/PVC tails were not deemed double insulated but now they are and why, so you can fit a metalclad consumer unit to a TT system without additional protection. These so called tails have one layer of electrical insulation and a sheath solely for mechanical protection I find it difficult to believe they would pass any requirements for protection by way of double insulation. I would suggest to anyone using these for this purpose to ask the manufacturer for the conformity of it's double insulation properties, good luck on that.

davesparks will be along in a minute to remind you tails are insulated & sheathed, not double insulated :)

Yeah, I'm not sure I agree with the statement that 'standard' tails are double insulated - unless you specially fit them.

Reply to Metal consumer units and TT in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock