Discuss Meter taisl & main fuse to change or not to change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craig1000

Hi All

just did a EICR at a cafe with 2 * flats above. Separate supply for the cafe to the flats!

Flats supply is split feeding a CU in communal hall cupboard which also feeds one of the flats via some mcb final circuits & a MCB distribution circuit to a CU within the flat! The other flat is fed via the split tails into a isolator & up to the flat CU.

Pulled the main fuse yesterday as some previous person must of cut the tags ;-)

Only 60amp, I have never had them out to change the fuse before, is there a cost as I would say being it feeds two flats it should need uprating to 100amp
If though I do that then so would the sub mains which are both currently 16mmT&CPC, the top flat has 2* 6mm cpc running with it but the 16mm T&CPC to the other flat does not!

I am thinking uprate fuse & split supply to a CU for landlords then have a 63A MCB to each flat through meters therefore the 16mms will be fine but will need to add a CPC to the flat supply without extra CPC.

Probably a bit confusing the way I have described & I am going through my regs books etc now just wanted to see others thoughts, as per my posts I am still new to domestic & designing our own work etc!
I do believe as it is its not correct!

How do things apply when things have been designed & installed to previous regs?

Customer has took on this property after liquidation & has been told 3 years ago previous owners spent 40k renovating (not on electric lol) but IMO some of the electrics if done 3 years ago should not have been signed off!
Top flat feeds communal staircase lights off its lighting circuit, not wrong by regs but poorly done.
Bottom flat has circuits fed from communal cupboard CU & a CU inside flat fed from communal cupboard CU, just appears to be a right hash of a job & would be confusing in the event of a problem!
If you apply the idiot rule, the idiot could go into flat & isolate CU yet half the flat is still on! No labeling etc bloody nightmare working it all out!

What is your max demand?

As for EICR, Just because it being installed to previous editions doenst deem the install unsatasfactory. Only if the issue has deemed the instal unsafe.

I take ir from your questions your new to the whole EICR, If so be carful as anything you dont pick up on and consequently it to blame for any mishaps down the line then its your neck on the line.

If you uhave been employed to do the EICR id be conducting it, Correcting and code 1 defects where possible, Making them aware of the code 2's. If they dont aggree to have these repaired then i wouldnt be doing any further work until i could deem the install satasfactory.

As for the additional work you are suggestion, I would deem it unessessary if all as you have been asked to do is a EICR. Providing its fused correctly and the cable can not pull more current then its designed to then there isnt a problem is there? Have you highlighted any code 1 / 2 defects?

As for codeing things becuase there rough.. If its within the regs and safe then its not going to deem the install unsatasfactory is it?

Hey Dave,

Yeah as ya can tell pretty new to doing the EICR, pretty new to domestic really in general & as a new business it is hard! Came through a commercial/industrial apprenticeship & then subbing in the same ares for years & have now set up with a business partner/mate of similar background!
wheteher we have thr right experience or not I think through hard work we will get there. What we do have is the desire to get it right so if I am ubsure I ask, I hope it doesnt make people think I shouldnt be doing it but its a different area of our filed & unless I get on & have a go I will never learn ;-)
Its like when I have seen domestic sparks come on sites, they just dont have a clue often.
I am struggling at time with the design element,regulations & form filling etc but other than that its OK. I often find I know them but it is getting used to the correct terminology!

I have myself done the report, defo no code 1's, few code 2's & some 3s
I do a report & a report & that only, C1s rectified as i go, rest reported on & then quote to rectify IF the customer wishes, in this case she has done!
I know i cant code for roughness & it is a case of me determining the codes from this, through experience I shall get there!
In terms of the fuse being a 60amp incomer then & has been for years & operates fine I would assume this being the maximum demand then & therefore the 16mm tails & sub mains are fine. One sub main shall still need additional CPC however!
Was just concerned with there being 2 flats it should need a larger main fuse to cover maximum demand of 2 flats plus a communal CU &if the fuse got uprated so might the tails need to then! Not trying to create work, if I can leave as it is & sign it off then thats what i want to do, have stared to get good work from this customer & do not want to be doing stuff needlessly, at the same time am wanting to make sure all is correct!

I thank you for your reply as it has helped alot!

Reply to Meter taisl & main fuse to change or not to change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net