Discuss MICC/PYRO. CABLE FAULT. / FUSE NOT BLOWING in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Life and technology moves on, if FP had been about 40 years ago then the demise of MI would probably be old news now.

Hi, yeah as regards learning from ones mistakes, when I said to my friend, don't worry ive done that a few times, it's in context of working for @ 43 years and connecting probably millions of fittings.
Also not 2 circuits, as somebody suggested, I'm talking about 1 ring main. It's great to hear people remenicing about the days of dressing PYRO and making the ends off. Yes you could make a beautiful job with it. Does anybody know do you still make the ends off as was done @ 35 years ago?
I'm looking for solutions to a problem by the way, not for judgements on whether I should not have nicked a cable, or taken a friend's word that the upstairs sockets were off.
Thanks again for those with positive or funny remarks.

Did some MICC at college recently. I have a CITB book from the late 80's which I used for reference and the process and tools are the same.
I suppose with many decades the difference will be imperial sizes moved to metric and perhaps different materials for potting and insulating the bare conductors.
How is the cable damaged? If you just nicked the conductor with a machine screw can you not repair the insulation by replacing the sleeving (with the correct type)?

I can only think of two scenarios for the other sockets not working
1.It is not a ring and cable broken where nicked it.
2 it is a ring and it as above but there is another break in the ring now making not working after about 1/4 round after protective device.

Reply to MICC/PYRO. CABLE FAULT. / FUSE NOT BLOWING in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, Is there an actual age limit on house wiring that would prevent a traditional fuse box being replaced with a consumer unit please...
Replies
Views
A silly fault in a circuit only 4m long is currently eluding me! This is ECIR remedials of a landlords supply in a block of flats. Circuit 2 =...
Replies
Views
Background: I am not an electrician, I am a retired professional engineer high power broadcast transmitter design , but am dabbling outside my...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Recently changed a CU for a friend and today when visiting one of the RFC's RCBOs tripped. It was due attention anyway as open ring and no time to...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock