Discuss Microwave above sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

daveb

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was out looking at a job today in a clients office, and have been asked to quote for installing an additional socket for a microwave.

They have installed a shelf directly above the kitchen sink and have placed a microwave on it - present cord is stretched out across to a worktop socket.

Anyway, I trying to find the regulation to refer to that prevents applicances and certainly sockets above sink areas. Having searched the on site guide, all i can see is recommended "horizontal" distance is 300mm. Even though the shelf is secure, I am fairly sure that this is against regulations and would like to quote a regulation to him rather than just saying it can't be done.

Thanks in advance!

How can you be sure it is against regulations if you can't say which regulation?

As far as I know there is no such regulation

How far above the sink is the shelf? Is the socket above the shelf?

I can't see an issue, but I wouldn't be happy to leave it like that. Is there no chance of moving it over the draining board at all?

I don't see an issue with this. You often come across plugs in the under sink cupboard which could potentially cause more issues than a socket sited 700mm above the sink with a shelf in between it.

As far as i'm aware no regulation stopping the under sink cupboard socket and so no regulation stopping one 700mm above...

it's all nanny electrics. one day they'll have us fitting them new-fangled earth leakage trips to circuits in case some dipstick shoves his fingers in a socket outlet.

Electrically I don't see a problem. I'd avoid mounting cooking equipment above chest height for an average person because if you can't see clearly into the microwave there's a higher risk of burns when removing cooked food.

Its one of those things that just doesn't look right but there's no logical defense for that feeling.

I had the same with wall brackets for heat pumps/AC it just don't feel right having that weight hanging of the side of a building, vibrating away, above peoples heads. But how many failures do we hear of?

Still don't feel right though.

Reply to Microwave above sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock