Discuss Microwave above sink in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.co.uk.

1. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

Hi all,

Was out looking at a job today in a clients office, and have been asked to quote for installing an additional socket for a microwave.

They have installed a shelf directly above the kitchen sink and have placed a microwave on it - present cord is stretched out across to a worktop socket.

Anyway, I trying to find the regulation to refer to that prevents applicances and certainly sockets above sink areas. Having searched the on site guide, all i can see is recommended "horizontal" distance is 300mm. Even though the shelf is secure, I am fairly sure that this is against regulations and would like to quote a regulation to him rather than just saying it can't be done.

Thanks in advance!

2. to hide this advert.
  3. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Look up suitability of installed equipment for environmental influences likely to be encountered.

4. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

How can you be sure it is against regulations if you can't say which regulation?

As far as I know there is no such regulation

5. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

gut feeling.... didn't dawn on me tonight until I sat down to quote it and thought "hmmmmmmm"

6. D00DY_T00DY

D00DY_T00DY Trainee Access

What's the worst that could happen
    Got gravity so the water won't make it up to the microwave haha

Rpa07 likes this.
  7. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

How far above the sink is the shelf? Is the socket above the shelf?

8. daveb

daveb Regular EF Member

The shelf is probably 500mm above the sink and the socket "will" be about 200mm above that

9. JohnnyRingmain

JohnnyRingmain Trainee Trainee Access

I can't see an issue, but I wouldn't be happy to leave it like that. Is there no chance of moving it over the draining board at all?

10. Nickj

Nickj Electrician's Arms

I don't see an issue with this. You often come across plugs in the under sink cupboard which could potentially cause more issues than a socket sited 700mm above the sink with a shelf in between it.

As far as i'm aware no regulation stopping the under sink cupboard socket and so no regulation stopping one 700mm above...

freddo, DPG and DAvid Prosser like this.
  11. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Can't see the problem.

freddo likes this.
  12. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    it's all nanny electrics. one day they'll have us fitting them new-fangled earth leakage trips to circuits in case some dipstick shoves his fingers in a socket outlet.

13. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I think there is more chance of injury from the person using the sink head butting the shelf / microwave than from the lecky!

DPG and Nickj like this.
  14. Marvo

Marvo GMES....You absolute beauty. YOU ROCK DUDE!!!! Staff Member

Electrically I don't see a problem. I'd avoid mounting cooking equipment above chest height for an average person because if you can't see clearly into the microwave there's a higher risk of burns when removing cooked food.

DPG likes this.