Discuss Minor works and earth?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

switched on

Hi i have just installed a new fan off the lighting circuit in a bathroom but upon testing i realised that there was no earth in the distribution board. I know you can't fail lights with no earth aslong as they are class 2 plastic fittings. So is this ok or will i have to run a seperate aerth to my new works as its in a special location altough everything is pastic and the fan doesn't have an erath terminal in anyways. Many Thanks in advance for advice

I don't see why you can't. After all it does not comply with the IEE Wiring Regulations.

It may not comply with current regs but as they are not retrospective then the lighting circuit complies with regs applicable at the time of installation, therefore he is correct to state that the circuit is safe to use without the cpc as long as only class 2 fittings are used.. A class 2 fan is also acceptable to be added to this circuit, however any installed cables must be RCD protected as per latest regs and the fan must be suitable for zone and the work is notifiable. If the fan is class 2 then there is no need to run an earth to it.........why would you want to bond plastic?

Cheers...........Howard.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
therefore he is correct to state that the circuit is safe to use without the cpc as long as only class 2 fittings are used.

He might be if that is his opinion. Doesn't mean that I can't say that in my opinion it is unsafe and should be brought up to an acceptable standard.

Risteard,

I am not disagreeing with you, and i also agree you are entitled to your opinion. I am just trying to point out that because it doesnt comply with 17th edition it is not in anyway non compliant, that is not an opinion it is a fact. And therefore he doesnt need to bring the whole circuit up to current regs. I would also advise customer to have improvements done but i cant force them, as the saying goes you can take the horse to the water but you cant make it drink. If the customer refuses and he can still make his work compliant then he should do the job and take the money just like i would,:) However if they asked me to put up some fancy metal fittings and switches then I agree 100% the install would have to meet current standards or its a big no no.

Cheers...........Howard

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Minor works and earth?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock