Discuss Minor Works Cert & Bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Spunkywads26

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi All, me again.

I quoted a small job in a landlords house. The CU is located in a cupboard under the staircase and has rammed with the tenants rubbish. I asked the landlord what type of CU was in there and he told me it was replaced 2 years ago for an RCD board. I moved abit of stuff and found a split load dual RCD Crabtree board.

A week later I came back to start the job and cleared out the cupboard. The Gas meter is in the same cupboard and the bonding clamp is 1200mm away from the meter. The bonding clamp on the water pipe is situated on a branch from the stop tap.

Now I have not quoted for this to be rectified as I naively thought that if a CU was changed 2 years ago the spark would have sorted this too. I would also assume that this was notified so where do/can I go from here? I dont want to put my name to this problem on my MWC so can I list this as a departure from regs?

What work are you issuing a MNW cert for ??

@ Lee - To move it would mean I need to replace the cable as it runs the wrong way.

@ Pete - I'm removing batten light above bath and replacing with 3 IP rated downlights and an extract fan.

@ Westy/Ian - I just worry that I would then take ownership of the bonding as I have carried out work on the CU and the bonding would always be checked. Therefore as soon as I sign off this it would become my problem. I am only just getting back into the trade and want to start in the right manner.

Well if it's causing you that much grief , make a note on the MNW cert and quote for altering the position of the bond

@ Lee - To move it would mean I need to replace the cable as it runs the wrong way.

@ Pete - I'm removing batten light above bath and replacing with 3 IP rated downlights and an extract fan.

@ Westy/Ian - I just worry that I would then take ownership of the bonding as I have carried out work on the CU and the bonding would always be checked. Therefore as soon as I sign off this it would become my problem. I am only just getting back into the trade and want to start in the right manner.
You are checking the bonding and altering an existing installation this is not initial verification same as if you did an eicr you certainly wouldn't C2 it.
If it's concerning you then alter it

If cable runs wrong way for gas then extend it, install an earth block or through crimp it inside a suitable enclosure with a label safety earth electrical connection do not remove

@ Handy - Sorry what I said was wrong, I am altering an existing circuit but when I test the circuit I will test the bonding continuity.

@ Ian - I will bring this up with the landlord tomorrow and state that I will note it on the MWC unless it gets altered. Just want to cover my behind.

@ Handy - Sorry what I said was wrong, I am altering an existing circuit but when I test the circuit I will test the bonding continuity.

@ Ian - I will bring this up with the landlord tomorrow and state that I will note it on the MWC unless it gets altered. Just want to cover my behind.
If you note it on the MNW cert then, said behind, is well and truly covered imo.

It's like if you install a socket and there's no rcd protection to the existing circuit.
You could install the cable in trunking and fit an rcd socket.
As long as your work is covered you don't have to bring existing installation to current standards. That said bonding must always be checked.

If you note it on the MNW cert then, said behind, is well and truly covered imo.
To add if your work is complete. tested and certified, the to reaffirm, note the concerns on the cert, bum covered , you have done your bit it's now down the client to make the decision to ask for the remedial to be done IN WRITTING, for further bum covering

If you are this concerned why not ring your schemes help line and see what they recommend..........
Experience by passed for a moment, the OP says he lacks confidence, if he take the advice given, and notes the non conforming bits on his cert he shouldn't need to get advice from his scheme, the advice given is sound, from people probably more knowledgeable than his scheme, this will in turn expand his confidence, you can't be charging folk for work only to go running to the people you pay money to for advice, because from experience they often give the wrong advice, or cover their behinds in other ways, there I've said it, await the howling and flaying to start anytime soon.

Reply to Minor Works Cert & Bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock