Discuss Minor Works Cert & Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I just worry that I would then take ownership of the bonding as I have carried out work on the CU and the bonding would always be checked. Therefore as soon as I sign off this it would become my problem. I am only just getting back into the trade and want to start in the right manner.

You do not take ownership of the bonding, that remains the property of the owner of the installation.
You are also only responsible for the work you have carried out, but yes you do also need to be satisfied that the installation is safe for you to carry out the work you are doing.

I know what I would do in this situation, but I guess that doesn't help you.
you can attach as many additional pages to a certificate as you wish, so I'd advise that you put everything you feel is necessary down on an additional sheet and attach it to the certificate.

In time you will come to realise that there are no part P police or regulations police and the schemes only care about people who use their logo without paying.
There are people carrying out dangerous installations every day and the only thing that happens is occasionally a decent electrician will end up putting it right. In the grand scheme of things a main bond located 2' to the right of the strictly correct location won't even be noticed.

minor works cert in a special location? am I the only one who would do a full installation certificate?
MWC if altering or extending an existing circuit...

I would say adding a couple of downlights in the same room wouldn't justify an EIC regardless of the location.

maybe I have the wrong end of the stick. would we agree that any work in a special location is notifiable? would you guys notify from a mwc then?
why not? it's still an installation certificate. Minor Electrical Works Installation Certificate. (MEWIC)

maybe I have the wrong end of the stick. would we agree that any work in a special location is notifiable? would you guys notify from a mwc then?

Notification as required by building regs is totally separate from the certification required by BS7671.
The cert you issue for the work is based on the requirements of the wiring regs.

The scope of what is notifiable is detailed in part P. In England it currently stands as this:

Provision of a new circuit
change of consumer unit
work in a special location

Note that the definition of special location is not the same as BS7671. Part P defines it as within the zones of a bathroom as described in section 701 of the wiring regs or a location containing a swimming pool or sauna.

And obviously a new installation or partial/full rewire is notifiable Andy, although provision of a new circuit or circuits is closely associated. :)

You could notify on the back of a smoke packet as long as it contains all the relevant test results, information (as per the model forms in BS7671) and is traceable.

The op hasn't posted for a while and I would say to him that if he is not confident in his abilities then maybe he should seek employment alongside people who would reinforce his abilities so he can feel confident in working solo. I suspect the tangent the thread has taken has scared him off.

And obviously a new installation or partial/full rewire is notifiable Andy, although provision of a new circuit or circuits is closely associated. :)

I've written it as laid out in Part P.
Yes a rewire is obviously new circuits and does not really need to be listed as notifiable as new circuits already are.

The op hasn't posted for a while and I would say to him that if he is not confident in his abilities then maybe he should seek employment alongside people who would reinforce his abilities so he can feel confident in working solo. I suspect the tangent the thread has taken has scared him off.

Ref confidence,as long as a person is competent,if the electrical work causes that person to take its concerns home,then worry and fret about its safety or legality,the trade of electrician may not have been the best choice for that person

Sorry for not posting sooner but I do like a good nights sleep.

I completed my apprenticeship with NG Bailey back in 2000 but left the trade. I worked in my family business as a scaffolder and eventually for myself for the last 8 years as a scaff. When my father past away last year I fell out of love with doing this and hated the hassle of employing people so sold up. I have decided to come back into this trade as I did enjoy it, but I don't really want to work for somebody. Being out the trade for so long has effected my confidence in my own ability and I find it a lot of information to take in with the changes (17th edition, part P etc...). I have sat the 17th, Part P & 2394/5. I am in the process of joining Napit (@Murdoch).

Probably should get some experience working alongside somebody but that seems easier said than done, so I'm prepared to go alone. Everyone makes mistakes, its part of learning. Nobody can tell me that they just decided to do a job and they were instantly fantastic at it. Takes a bigger person to admit a mistake.

That's what I like about this forum, there are so many different types of guys here. Moody, cynical, helpful, rude, funny, knowledgeable. Ill be sure to keep a regular eye on this thread for fear of anybody thinking i'm running away!

I've written it as laid out in Part P.
Yes a rewire is obviously new circuits and does not really need to be listed as notifiable as new circuits already are.

I only mentioned it Andy as when doing online Part P notifications on the Elecsa website rewiring and new build installations have their own tick boxes in the list of work type 'descriptors'. Maybe that's just an attempt to make it slightly more idiot proof. :D

If you are going to stick around the best strategy is to provide as much info as possible AND answer questions raised by members

Why are you joining Napit? Stroma are cheaper!

Reply to Minor Works Cert & Bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net