Discuss Minor Works certificate - Insulation Resistance test - Advice Please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

I am currently doing work that will require a Minor Works Certificate on completion.

The property I am working in is council owned and the occupant is currently in hospital.

Due to the amount of work being undertaken ALL of the rooms have been previously filled with furniture etc.

My concern is this, there is only one ring for the property and due to not being able to access the rooms to confirm that everything is unplugged I believe that I am unable to go ahead with the Insulation Resistance test.

Would someone be kind enough to explain how they would tackle this situation please as I would hate to be responsible for blowing up a sensitive item that is still plugged in.

Can I list under "Deviations from regs" If so, what wording would you choose?

Many Thanks in advance

1SC

You could always just IR the "extension" to the circuit - presumably you are adding a spur. If you do this simply add a note on the MWC stating what you tested.

tin hat on!

Test it at 250v instead of 500v. This way you will get an idea if somethings are still plugged in. Whilst not damaging sensitive equipment

I tried the 250v IR test before starting the job and something is definitely soaking up the power as I got a reading of 0.00

You could always just IR the "extension" to the circuit - presumably you are adding a spur. If you do this simply add a note on the MWC stating what you tested.

tin hat on!

That was something that I considered to check my work but obviously this only provides peace of mind for what has been carried out and not what is already present???

Why can't you access those rooms. Council should give you key

Due to the amount of work being undertaken ALL of the rooms have been previously filled with furniture etc.

Unfortunately there is no way of getting IN to the rooms as there is just stuff EVERYWHERE. It's like a bloomin bombsite lolThanks for the suggestions so far:thumbsup

Use test method 2.
Test between L & N connected together to earth at 500V d.c.
Being a pedant now.
There are no Deviations as far as BS7671 is concerned.
There are Departures, and there are defects.
Departures are intended, and offer the same degree of safety as would be achieved if the Regulations were complied with.
Defects are either in the existing installation, or are to be rectified before a Certificate is issued.

Personally I would join Live and Neutral together and test between that and Earth at 500v. Note it on the Cert.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
As rich and spin has suggested but dont what ever you do test L and N at 500 volts or you may well end up with a large bill

I'm not even entertaining 500v as I have a problem at 250v which is why I am seeking professional assistance.

There are multiple FCU which have neons and I have spotted a very large looking TV which I cannot access. The fridge/Freezer is not plugged in but on the250V I had reading of 0.00v.

I cannot get to the TV to see if it is unplugged. I can test the work I have done and I know that the install must be recent because the gas is 10mm bonded. The water is plastic inlet but has been bonded to both hot and cold in the loft by the looks of things???

The circuit I am working on is already RCD protected.

Thanks for all the assistance so far, It is VERY much appreciated:thumbsup

I hope that I can learn further from this exercise:

Id just test my extension and note it down on agreed limitations

We're talking Council here lol

I have not yet met the chap in charge but your suggestion is definitely worth considering. I will look to contact him, discuss the situation and hopefully agree that due to the circumstances the ring cannot be safely IR tested or THEY arrange someone to shift everything so that appropriate measures can be taken to ensure safe testing,

Thanks very much to all that have posted:thumbsup

We're talking Council here lol

I have not yet met the chap in charge but your suggestion is definitely worth considering. I will look to contact him, discuss the situation and hopefully agree that due to the circumstances the ring cannot be safely IR tested or THEY arrange someone to shift everything so that appropriate measures can be taken to ensure safe testing,

Thanks very much to all that have posted:thumbsup

Just make sure anything you get from the council person is in writing, preferably carry out the discussion via email remembering to always use 'reply' instead of sending a completely new email. This will then show the train of the discussion and will avoid any 'well you never told me that' type responses if everything goes south.

As said before join L and N together and test to E. At 250V first if you like. If you get 0M switch to continuity and test again and you will get a more sensible value say 70ohm for the light. IR shows 0 for pretty much anything less that a few thousand ohms.

Reply to Minor Works certificate - Insulation Resistance test - Advice Please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net