Discuss Minor Works Certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
The NICEIC just told me I should not be issuing Minor Works Certificates for work carried out by the house owner but inspected and tested by me (NICEIC registered). I'm a bit surprised. So is that right no-one is allowed to run their own cables and connect their own sockets without energising the system, it all has to be done by a someone who is in a competent person scheme.
Cheers

Chris

Think what they are getting at is, how can you certify work done by someone else, when you haven't a clue how the cabling was installed.
Not working any more and never been in one of the scams, what are the NICEICs thoughts on 3d party certification?

Think what they are getting at is, how can you certify work done by someone else, when you haven't a clue how the cabling was installed.

That's a fair point. In this case as its in the garage I can see the cable run. So I guess the alternatives are pay for someone to run the cable or find someone who is willing to say they did it.

That's a fair point. In this case as its in the garage I can see the cable run. So I guess the alternatives are pay for someone to run the cable or find someone who is willing to say they did it.
What exactly was the job that your customer did

With STROMA they were very jumpy about third party work being certified by me. However they saw my sub-contractors agreement and said that it would be OK to do it this way. So I get the person working to sign and date an all risk/H&S compliance statement including method statement. This way the onus is on them if they have departed from proper practices as they know the standard they have to work to, and only have themselves to blame if it goes wrong, as I have specified very particulary all the Acts and regs and H&S they agree to adhere to.

With STROMA they were very jumpy about third party work being certified by me. However they saw my sub-contractors agreement and said that it would be OK to do it this way. So I get the person working to sign and date an all risk/H&S compliance statement including method statement. This way the onus is on them if they have departed from proper practices as they know the standard they have to work to, and only have themselves to blame if it goes wrong, as I have specified very particulary all the Acts and regs and H&S they agree to adhere to.

That sounds like a good solution but I think I'll stick to a condition report in future.

2.5 T & E clipped direct to the block work. CPC sleeved inside the sockets and terminations were correct. What do you think I might have missed?
Not sure if you have missed anything Chris, wondered if he had actually broken into the RFC or did the usual DIY trick of spurring the sockets, either way you have had to do the complete Ring test

I would personally not issue a MWC for works I haven't carried out. EICR is fine, you could even limit it to the circuit/s which have been altered. Hate to say it but I am with the NIC on this. I feel a cold wind:)

Not sure if you have missed anything Chris, wondered if he had actually broken into the RFC or did the usual DIY trick of spurring the sockets, either way you have had to do the complete Ring test

Thanks for the input Pete, its helpful. He had removed a single socket and added two junction boxes and extended from there. I did r1, r2, rn, then R1+R2, Insulation, Ze and RCD.

Thanks for the input Pete, its helpful. He had removed a single socket and added two junction boxes and extended from there. I did r1, r2, rn, then R1+R2, Insulation, Ze and RCD.

I would personally not issue a MWC for works I haven't carried out. EICR is fine, you could even limit it to the circuit/s which have been altered. Hate to say it but I am with the NIC on this. I feel a cold wind:)

Thanks for the input Westwood, I'll stick to an EICR and just the extended circuits in future.

You could also tell the DIYers and builders that want to take the mick out of you and your profession to find some other mug to sign the paperwork.

Don't forget as a member the NICEIE carries certain warranty comitments for its members.
So signing off on other peoples work leaves you and them liable.
A condition report is the safer solution although some building controls aren't keen.
I guess you can make a call on each job based on what you can inspect and decide if you are prepared to say it was your work.

Don't forget as a member the NICEIE carries certain warranty comitments for its members.
So signing off on other peoples work leaves you and them liable.
A condition report is the safer solution although some building controls aren't keen.
I guess you can make a call on each job based on what you can inspect and decide if you are prepared to say it was your work.

Thanks for the advice Pat

Reply to Minor Works Certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net