Discuss minor works insulation ressistance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Insulation ressistance on a minor works cert:confused: is that the original circuit plus addition or only the addition say a spur ??

rich
The Minor Works Certificate is only to be used for additions, alterations or replacements to an installation that do not extend to the provision of a new circuit.Examples include the addition of a socket outlet or lighting point to an existing circuit,or the replacement or relocation of a light switch.

hi yes i under stand that but the question is !!!! when i add a spur and i fill in the mwc do i do a insullation resistance test for just the the spur addition and record on cert or do you have to insullation resist the whole circuit ( original circuit )_ and record that including the spur:)

thanks
Rich

Eeeerrrrrr u sure about that???

I assumed that too until i was put right that i was only testing the insulation res on the cable i had put down & only Zs the circuit. Also RCD test as normal.

S

Eeeerrrrrr u sure about that???

I assumed that too until i was put right that i was only testing the insulation res on the cable i had put down & only Zs the circuit. Also RCD test as normal.

S

Could you kindly explain how to IR test only a part of the circuit. You can join L/N at the DB and test it to earth. (Whole Installation)

You wouldn't want to be adding extra sockets etc onto a circuit that has poor Insulation, now would you??:D

Last edited:
Well you would test it like you test any other circuit IR, only you are not obliged to test the entire circuit but only the cables you have put in allowing L/N test aswell.

See i'm just telling you what ELECSA told me because i had a problem where i couldn't unplug every appliance or extension lead.

Hope that explains abit more

Well you would test it like you test any other circuit IR, only you are not obliged to test the entire circuit but only the cables you have put in allowing L/N test aswell.

See i'm just telling you what ELECSA told me because i had a problem where i couldn't unplug every appliance or extension lead.

Hope that explains abit more

Ok but can you explain the procedure of testing only a part of the circuit then??

You would do an IR test (amongst others) before you make any additions to the circuit, that way you will be sure that the circuit you are adding to is ok, you would then do another IR test after the circuit has been modified.

Testing IR from the start of the cable you have put in, strip the wires before terminating them(eg. as a spur) for any damage that may have occurred whilst you were installing them.

Same principle just not tested at the distribution board. Only testing the work we have done remembering we still do Zs & RCD test the whole circuit/installation

Testing IR from the start of the cable you have put in, strip the wires before terminating them(eg. as a spur) for any damage that may have occurred whilst you were installing them.

Same principle just not tested at the distribution board. Only testing the work we have done remembering we still do Zs & RCD test the whole circuit/installation

I wouldn't want to install anything on a circuit that is dangerous, and by only testing your new cable, you have no idea what the condition of the cable was in before. It's going to bit you in the butt! :eek:

I'd agree with you & that's what i tried from the start....but when there was an appliance across the circuit & i had no access to giving me silly readings anyway....got to make a judgement

I accept the differing view on IR tests for minor works certificates, with my view being test the whole circuit before and after. If you cannot get access to equipment to part of the circuit or to unplug equipment test at a reduced range and make comment on the form.

it is my understanding that in carrying out work or addition to a circuit you would then be responsible for the whole circuit - and I would want to fully test to know what I am accepting responsibility for!

Spot on. That's what should happen. Before you add to an existing circuit just whack the megger (other testers are available) on, then add your sockets spurs etc and whack it on again. Whole circuit not just the bit you've stuck on.

Mmmmm according to the part p minor works certificate i have , as supplied by my part p course 2 years ago, insulation test is only for the cable you are fitting...

prior to insulation:
visual check of electrical source and availability
voltage
polarity
loop impedance(psc)

identify where mains supply is to be connected to fused spur(excluding kitchen and bathrooms)
socket outlet/ring-radial circuit/consumer-DB(existing circuit)/new junction box

tests on additional/new circuit wiring before connecting to mains:
continuity of protective conducters
circuit polarity check
insulation resistance

tests performed after connecting to mains:
polarity check
earth loop impedance
spur warning label fitted
spur security/tamper seal fitted

equipment serial numbers and calibration dates

installer training record

declaration(legal gumpph)
signatures/dates

Has this changed at all recently?

You should always test the whole circuit. As previously mentioned you put your work(no matter how good it is) onto a dangerous circuit, you will be held responsible if it should cause any danger to persons, livestock or damage to the property. Always test the whole circuit.

....if i am upgrading/replacing an existing fixed appliance, do i still need to test the circuit? i cannot see the spur for the current piece of equipment, the mains supply runs through the wall into the garage the other side, maybe to dist. board directly or spurred off from something else...( i did'nt check whilst onsite, silly me :( ), it was installed in 1992.. it is an alarm system....

The insulation resistance test is for the whole of the installation
It seems a bit pointless testing a bit thats been added on and getting a 200+ reading when the insulation resistance of the whole may be much lower

My vote is also for the reading of the whole circuit (including existing) to be recorded.
If you are spurring from a ring then you are modifying the ring circuit, not creating a new one.

The insulation test result should be that of the ring, and Zs result be the highest reading on the circuit so not nessassarily just the spur you have added.

Or at least that is my opinion.

Reply to minor works insulation ressistance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net