Discuss Missing City & Guilds certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

madfish

I recently posted regarding taking steps to finish the qualification I started over 20 years ago. I passed my 236 Part 1 & 2 in 1990 however I no longer have the certificates due to water damage a long time ago. I spoke to C&G who told me they could give me copies for £44, 24hrs after payment they have told me they cannot find them and thanks for the money :32:.

They did mention if I had trained through a scheme (I did YTS), then it would have been done through them and could be hard to locate, I would have to contact them for details apparently but they no longer exist!.

All I have as proof is my 236 assessment book signed by the tutors and my final YTS scheme certificate that states I passed Part 1 but was still awaiting my Part 2 result (which I passed).

Am I screwed? I am guessing that If I were to eventually join the NICEIC etc I would have to produce some sort of proof I attended colledge, I do know how to contact one of my tutors from back then who is actually a NICEIC inspector now, could he verify my credentials with a cover letter?, any advice appreciated.

Yep okay DW, reread post, can't believe that City and Guilds cannot supply duplicates.?

I still have all my 15th edition diploma certs but after 26yrs of changes and overalls to the system I too wouldn't hold much hope of them finding me a copy, don't forget it was paper storage and floppy discs and most of the discs had a limited shelf life of good storage.

Wow guys, thanks for all the responses. Just to update I have emailed C&G and asked them to look again with as much info I can muster including the names of a couple of guys I was on the course with, maybe they will find them, the £44 search fee is non refundable according to them.

However...after digging around in the loft I found a certificate that confirms my time under YTS and all the qualifications I received including computer courses and the C&G part 1&2 with passes for both. I have even managed to contact the training company who ran the scheme, they have told me that although they destroy records after 10 years they are recognised and the paperwork provided along with my C&G assessment book should be enough to proove my credentials.

Obviously coupled with my 17th hopefully it'll be ok, I'm actually surprised how many sparks I've asked have told me the NICEIC have never asked to look at them anyway!.

Niceic do ask for them, I am in the same boat now. I have been a QS with a firm for 15+ years have had assessments and yearly reviews with Niceic. Now working for another firm and it's been just over a year since I quit my role as Qualifying Manager, now NICEIC want all my qualifications again. They say that it doesn't matter that all this has been proved before because that information is for previous company. BS it may have been for another company but the information given to them was about my qualifications. So i feel as though it could be argued that under data protection act I have every right to access it and if that can be done why can it not be used for the purpose of being QS for a different company? It's not as if anyone can take away my qualifications I've already gained? I am missing 2 Certs my original 2391 and 17th edition so I have to fork out £88 to C&G to see if they find them.

I have been through all that too I lost mine in a house move about 12 years ago and contacted c&g only to be told they had no record. I told them to look harder! Then by chance I bumped into one of the lads who was on the course with me, so I asked him if he still had his certs. He wasn't sure but a week later he sent me a picture of his cert and I managed to get all the course details and give them to c&g who then miraculously found them! So I too got spanked £88 by C&G and had to do all the hard work for them! So glad I bumped into that lad or the outcome could have been even more expensive!
It's a bl@@dy pain in the neck!
Glad you found proof of yours!

When I had my meeting with the Niceic inspector who was new to me as my normal one was ill who I have dealt with for years. Pity as I wouldn't mind betting he would have been able to vouch that he had seen them. My biggest fear is that the original 2391 course, exam and practical was such a b@&£ard it had a 73% failure rate. That is the one I dread them saying they can't find. Even the inspector commented to my boss who is much younger than me just how bad that was. I'm sure my boss thinks it was 73% pass rate

Reply to Missing City & Guilds certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net