Discuss Mitre saw tripping main breaker - Help! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JoeCarp

Hi all

I've just signed up to the forum as I'm at a loss with what the problem is - I've asked the (sort of) electrical guy at work and he is also out of ideas.

I myself have next to no electrical knowledge, so please bare with me..

My SIP 12" Mitre saw is being problematic. 2000 w, 13amp fuse in plug.
Manual here: http://www.sipindustrial.com/manuals/01504.pdf

I've recently moved into a new home where, the first time I used the saw there were no problems at all. A week later I take the saw out and pull the trigger. The blade spins for an instant, stops immediately and the main breaker is tripped.

I then repeatedly try flipping it back on and testing it out in different sockets (upstairs, downstairs, oven socket etc.), different/no extension leads, checking the fuse, all ending up with the same result - initial spin up then trip.

I take the saw to work (carpentry workshop) - works absolutely fine. Wiggle the cable about while running it to see if the problem is there, continues to run perfectly.

I take the saw to another house just round the corner, with presumable similar wiring - absolutely fine there as well.

So I suppose:
What's wrong/different with my house that's causing the saw to trip the main breaker?
Is the saw itself problematic, but other properties seem to be able to just deal with it?
Why would it work properly on initial use but fail to work a week later?

Thank you very very much in advance!

Joe

Mitre saw tripping main breaker - Help! IMG_20170705_070109658 - EletriciansForums.net Mitre saw tripping main breaker - Help! IMG-20170621-WA0004 - EletriciansForums.net

easy peasy fix. get a local electrician round to change the MCB for a C type ( he''ll need to test the circuit to ensure it's parameters comply ). the C type MCB allows for a higher inrush current, common when motors start up. there's a female spark or 2 on the forum in your area may be of assistance.

and get a cord grip fitted to that plug top.

Hi all

I've just signed up to the forum as I'm at a loss with what the problem is - I've asked the (sort of) electrical guy at work and he is also out of ideas.

I myself have next to no electrical knowledge, so please bare with me..

My SIP 12" Mitre saw is being problematic. 2000 w, 13amp fuse in plug.
Manual here: http://www.sipindustrial.com/manuals/01504.pdf

I've recently moved into a new home where, the first time I used the saw there were no problems at all. A week later I take the saw out and pull the trigger. The blade spins for an instant, stops immediately and the main breaker is tripped.

I then repeatedly try flipping it back on and testing it out in different sockets (upstairs, downstairs, oven socket etc.), different/no extension leads, checking the fuse, all ending up with the same result - initial spin up then trip.

I take the saw to work (carpentry workshop) - works absolutely fine. Wiggle the cable about while running it to see if the problem is there, continues to run perfectly.

I take the saw to another house just round the corner, with presumable similar wiring - absolutely fine there as well.

So I suppose:
What's wrong/different with my house that's causing the saw to trip the main breaker?
Is the saw itself problematic, but other properties seem to be able to just deal with it?
Why would it work properly on initial use but fail to work a week later?

Thank you very very much in advance!

Joe

View attachment 37244 View attachment 37245
The main breaker you talk of, this would be I presume an RCD? it would appear that you have a possible N TO E fault in your property, have you recently done any DIY i.e, shelves, picture hanging, or anything else, grateful for a response to enable further advice.

The main breaker you talk of, this would be I presume an RCD? it would appear that you have a possible N TO E fault in your property, have you recently done any DIY i.e, shelves, picture hanging, or anything else, grateful for a response to enable further advice.
Yes didn't spot the main breaker bit so we need to know what is tripping.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not up to speed on the RCD or N TO E jargon. What are they?

When it trips, I flip the switch on the far left side of the unit pictured and it's all ok again.

As far as DIY goes, we've just moved into the house so various shelves and pictures have gone up, yes. How might this effect it?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not up to speed on the RCD or N TO E jargon. What are they mean?

When it trips, I flip the switch on the far left side of the unit pictured and it's all ok again.

As far as DIY goes, we've just moved into the house so various shelves and pictures have gone up, yes. How might this effect it?
You may inadvertently drilled / damaged cables

Forgive my ignorance, I'm not up to speed on the RCD or N TO E jargon. What are they?

RCD Residual current Device, protects against faults like N to E faults whereby the N conductor comes into contact with the Earth conductor.

Ok. How can I test for the N to E fault? Why would it only show up using the saw and not anything else? Regardless of upstairs/downstairs sockets too

Ok. How can I test for the N to E fault? Why would it only show up using the saw and not anything else? Regardless of upstairs/downstairs sockets too
Joe, you don't seem to understand, without the required test equipment and knowledge you would find it impossible to test your installation, you need the services of a qualified Electrician, to test, locate and repair any faults that may be present.

Joe can't see whether you have answered my question is it the RCD or CB that is tripping? to put into laymans term do you loose ALL power when it trips?

Think it is the main rcd switch Pete because he said the far left switch on his picture. Is odd although not impossible a double insulated appliance is causing this.

Joe can't see whether you have answered my question is it the RCD or CB that is tripping? to put into laymans term do you loose ALL power when it trips?
Think it is the main rcd switch Pete because he said the far left switch on his picture. Is odd although not impossible a double insulated appliance is causing this.
Thanks Westy missed that, go on then enlighten me. Not doubting you just wondering how.

Reply to Mitre saw tripping main breaker - Help! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock