Discuss Mobile signal boosters... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Got a client who wants an amplifier for their "location" - needs to be "unlocked" so that it will work for any service provider.

Suggestions please?

Thanks

Best to find out what your client actually wants. Voice and/or data GSM and/or 4G and also what coverage he requires. It sounds as though he wants every option.
This is fairly typical model that will do all options with reasonable coverage.

This is a typical booster:
Dual Network Cell Phone Repeater Voice & 4G LTE - 300 sq.m. | UK - https://www.mobilesignalboosters.co.uk/product/dual-network-cell-phone-repeater-voice-4g-lte-300-sq-m/

He will need to receive a signal from each provider locally outside his house as the device can only amplify a signal that is present.

I am not sure they are legal to output a signal without a licence.

Hope this helps,
Paul

I was unsure of their legality in the UK .... so ducked answering the question, but a quick google finds them readily available in the UK...

I knew a 'very important person', who had a poor Vodaphone signal. Their engineers came along and installed a substantial amount of equipment, which improved the signal, but I don't think it was cheap. I understand technology improves at great knots these days, but I would be suspicious of any great improvement for a few hundred pounds, even if they are legal.

I am on Vodafone. They have a device called Sure Signal which plugs into your broadband router, so you make calls over your broadband connection , not over the cell network.

I understand it is illegal to transmit on frequencies used for mobile phones without a licence from Ofcom, or perhaps the approval of the licence holder. The repeater's transmission raises the noise level on the donor cell and shrinks its coverage (yours may improve, but others will get worse). To counter the problem of interference all the network operating companies have travelling teams who locate sources and then Ofcom step in. I agree its stupid that repeaters are allowed to be sold, as I know of no legal use for them.

They are illegal in the uk . I have fitted a couple in the past but only for one service provider at a time .

In the booster kit is an external booster which mounts to the side of the house or in a loft , this is pointed at the required mast and will only boost the frequency of specced signal .

Reply to Mobile signal boosters... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net