1. Just upgrading some bits and bobs. Hang in there
    Dismiss Notice

Discuss 'Modern Electric Wiring' in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Evening all. Does anyone want to buy a copy of 'Modern Electric Wiring'? Have ended up with some duplicate books in my collection. Published by Caxton, hardback, 1950 (66 years old).

Was after a tenner but that would include postage.

Mods - if this isn't allowed let me know, cheers.

Daz

View attachment 35956

View attachment 35957

Leesparkykent likes this.
  2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

me ....please ......

DPG likes this.
  3. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Blimey that was quick! Send me a PM and we'll arrange a paypal transfer if that's OK?

4. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

I've heard a rumour that the very book shown is Tel and Pete's '17th edition' reference manual. :D

David M, GMES, westward10 and 2 others like this.
  5. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Nice one:) I have a collection of old books,and think there is a series of Caxton informatives within there...possibly 40's and another set 50's ish.

I have an 1889 copy of the Buck and Hickman catalogue,by my side,now.

They make great reading,and have assisted immensely,when dissecting or dismantling buildings/installations,having read the actual methods employed to fit them,new.

You can be reading a chapter on a particular task,and go from admiration of lost materials/techniques,to realising that the next instructions,if carried out today,would offer the risk of imprisonment!

If we don't learn from history,we are destined to repeat it ;)

DPG likes this.
  6. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

I'm sure one of the books I've got shows live mains wires being dangled in salt water to test polarity!!

PEG and Dave OCD like this.
  7. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

That'll be in the days of DC mains then, a quick sniff test will identify the positive (I think) by the chlorine gas being given off!

PEG and DPG like this.
  8. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Yep, DC mains. The positive wire gave off bubbles in the water if I remember correctly. There's also lead acid battery charging direct from the mains via bulbs as ballast!

PEG likes this.
  9. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

...There's my point...first day for the apprentice of old,and he's already been poisoned and electrocuted,and if he protests,he can be physically assaulted,with no redress :) (i actually have a indentured apprenticeship handbook,from the 40's,where it is explained,that this is a daily possibility!)

Dave OCD and DPG like this.
  10. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Oih cheeky sid:mad::cool::p:)

Dave OCD likes this.
  11. GMES

GMES Chief Gorilla Staff Member Trusted Advisor

Daz it's only not allowed if I can't buy a copy :rolleyes: If there are any spare I will buy one.
    PS I will give you £ 12.00 ;)

DPG likes this.
  12. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Believe it or not I do have another spare copy of this! I must have bought 3 over the years. Memory like a sieve. Shall I reserve it for you gmes?

I've also got a 4 volume set of electrical books twice. Can't remember the title but will look later and post it on here.
    Daz.

GMES likes this.
  13. GMES

Yes please Daz and I would also be interested in the 4 volume set.

14. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

It's yours. Send me a PM and we'll sort a Paypal transfer out. Price same as the other one - £10 is that OK? That's including postage, which is about £3 plus a jiffy bag.

Daz

GMES likes this.
  15. GMES

But I thought theirs was wrote on Slate. :oops:

Dave OCD and David M like this.
  16. David M

David M Beauty I've always missed with these eyes Electrician's Arms

I'd also heard, that they did their apprenticeships around the time of Benjamin Franklin. :p

GMES likes this.
  17. DPG

DPG Electrician's Arms

Pioneer of the human lightning rod :)

GMES likes this.