Discuss Modern replacement for a standard tank and immersion heater in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a client who is using a hot water tank and standard 14in immersion heater element on a 13A fused spur for their hot water needs. It's running 24/7 relying on the immersion stat. There is no gas to the property (and no potential of getting it). Its a very large 5 bed farmhouse. What's the best replacement for this? There has to be a more modern and efficient way of doing this? Anyone have any recommendations? It's a large property with several bathrooms a kitchen and a utility so I don't think individual instantaneous water heaters will do. Thanks for any advice.

I think Lee has covered it there!

My solar heats a huge unvented tank up to 65 deg by lunchtime on a reasonably bright day using the Apollo Gem with my array.

Big investment, but quicker payback times if you're heating all your water via electric.

The direct equivalent for the old hot water cylinder would be the modern unvented hot water cylinder, which operates at mains pressure and has better insulation.

A Simple improvement to the current setup could be made by adding a timeswitch. Presumably there is an E7 supply or something like it?

Thanks for this. I'm aware of GS and AS heat pumps and solar etc, but that more investment and setup than the client wants. I was hoping that there was a some form of high efficiency water heater that someone had experience of?

Thanks for this. I'm aware of GS and AS heat pumps and solar etc, but that more investment and setup than the client wants. I was hoping that there was a some form of high efficiency water heater that someone had experience of?

Immersion heaters are pretty much as efficient as they can get, as much of the energy that is put in is converted to heat as possible.
It is the heat losses through the outside of the tank which need to be addressed, the better insulated the hot water cylinder, the less energy is wasted.

The cheapest way to improve the efficiency of an electrically heated hot water cylinder is to insulate it as much as possible.

I connected up a Thermaflow boiler from Macdonald Engineers. Heats a tank of water overnight on E7, Circulates this water round radiators. Hot water is produced by running cold through a coil around the tank.
No idea about running costs yet, but will be more efficient than the 1980's wood burning stove with back-boiler that it replaced, and better than electric bricky brick storage heaters.

I connected up a Thermaflow boiler from Macdonald Engineers. Heats a tank of water overnight on E7, Circulates this water round radiators. Hot water is produced by running cold through a coil around the tank.
No idea about running costs yet, but will be more efficient than the 1980's wood burning stove with back-boiler that it replaced, and better than electric bricky brick storage heaters.
any update on the costs of this as yet please?

Reply to Modern replacement for a standard tank and immersion heater in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock