Discuss motor testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

the pict

-
Mentor
Reaction score
How the hell can I test a washing machine motor, is all the variations done by the pcb how is it reversed, speed changes I get just pick a differant colour wire and zap it with 230V, looks like my Doris is getting a new washer, bugger and I thought I was getting a weeks fishing in
Pict

I had one on a test bed for nigh on a week. Never really sussed out what it could do. Forward/revese, high/intermediate and low speeds.
It caught fire in the end!

afaik, all you can do is IR test and continuity tests. what does or doesn't the motor do?

I was on the phone to mate and he said wait till tomorrow afternoon when we get back from the pub and I'll show you how fast I can get it to go before it runs its bearings using a mig welder ?????????
cant wait
Pict

Tele Hi it seems to pulse stop pulse again before it takes of on a spin cycle then it seems to go quicker in paused stages or sometimes it justs see saws back and forth
Pict

tony may well correct me here, but i think your fault is in the control circuitry rather than the motor. check the pcb for damage either to the copper tracks or components. edge connectors can also give bad contact.

tony may well correct me here, but i think your fault is in the control circuitry rather than the motor. check the pcb for damage either to the copper tracks or components. edge connectors can also give bad contact.
You could well be right Tel, some newer washing machines have a so called digital motor, and worn brushes with these can cause some strange symptoms.

Has the OP checked the brushes ?

You could well be right Tel, some newer washing machines have a so called digital motor, and worn brushes with these can cause some strange symptoms.

Has the OP checked the brushes ?
Yeah mine does that I checked the brushes, bit worn (did not change them) and it was fine for a few washes then back to the intermittent.

Brushes are worn down to the holder new set on order, I spoke to a guy I know and amazingly white goods makers do not give out tech info to independants, something their industry is trying to resolve, but commercial stuff is the complete opposite as I know as I do a lot of commercial catering stuff and tech info is abundant mainly becuase if a customer needs new kit they will almost certainly ask about spares availabilty etc maybe if we went into curry's and asked the same sort of questions tech support would get the finger out, any way sympathetic rant over
Pict

if you think that's bad, try buying a set of carbon brushes for a dyson. they'll sell you a new motor, but brushes... no chance.

Same thing a few years back I was working at a care home,s air conditioning system a Daikin unit, I phoned Daikin to get info on the error codes and a quote for a replacment outside unit just in caseit went ---- up, " whats your approved Diakin installer number" I dont have one " well we cant help you fortunatley I new a guy as you invariably do got it sorted, now about a year ago I started getting sales e-mails from Daikin with "special offers" so I phoned and asked about after sales support as I was quoting for a replacement sytem "no problem if you buy from us we give you a free phone support number and all the technical journasl needed for all our models past and present so I asked what had changed the guys words were " pick any Japanesse, Korean, Chinese name and thats why" seems they have been forced into it by the competition who relly want to build and keep a customer base whereas Daikin though the gravy train was endless and they would get by on the name,
Pict

Reply to motor testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock