Discuss motorcycist electocuted by 12 volts in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ayjay

a m/cycle rider touched the terminals of his bikes battery and was instantlly killed-- fryed--
it was beleived he received a massive 12 volt dc electric shock:bucktooth:

ok............I missed the joke sorry.

Wait tho....................

I've just read it 24 more more times.................still missed the joke tho ffs?

At least he knows the 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' rule eh :)

ok............I missed the joke sorry.

Wait tho....................

I've just read it 24 more more times.................still missed the joke tho ffs?

At least he knows the 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' rule
eh :)

never did understand this poem - we were taught it at middle school and then immediately informed of all the words that contradicted this rule.......science, sufficient, vein, foreign, their etc. etc.

never did understand this poem - we were taught it at middle school and then immediately informed of all the words that contradicted this rule.......science, sufficient, vein, foreign, their etc. etc.

Well obviously except them ffs.................goes without saying surely :)

it's called the exception that proves the rule. like goose-geese. mongoose-mongooses. (meerkats hate then dirty mongoosesss)

I think I saw on QI that they no longer teach the I before E rule as there are more exceptions to the rule than words that conform to it.
And I have never understood "The exception that proves the rule." No exception proves a rule, it surely does the opposite.

tel: that'd be fine, if there was only one or two exceptions. but there's bleeding loads of exceptions with i.b.e.e.a.c........feisty, species... there's two more. how many exceptions are acceptable before the rule doesn't make sense?

'free haircuts on wednesdays only' ......that's my idea of an exception that proves the rule.

I think I saw on QI that they no longer teach the I before E rule as there are more exceptions to the rule than words that conform to it.
And I have never understood
"The exception that proves the rule." No exception proves a rule, it surely does the opposite.

it's a poorly constructed phrase. it really means that because an exception exists, then this should prove the actual rule.......if that makes sense??

hahaha. i think you're winding me up, but i'll play along................

if you use the example i posted earlier - free haircuts on wednesdays only - it informs people that they can only get a free haircut on this particular day, thus implying that you'd have to pay for your haircut on any other day.

this means that the exception (free wednesday haircuts) proves the unwritten rule (you have to pay for your haircut any other time).

Ah I get it now.
Next time an IR test comes in too low I'll just tell the customer it proves the rule that IR tests should normally be above this value and leave it. If I fixed it, it would cease to be an exception and there would be nothing to prove the rule.
:p

in actual fact, to give the full meaning , it's the fact that the exception exists that proves that the rule exists. does that clarify the situ.

Reply to motorcycist electocuted by 12 volts in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net