Discuss Mounting system identification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gr7

-
Reaction score
I have been asked to replace a module damaged by a fallen tv aerial in the recent storm. The system was installed by another company that has gone into liquidation.
Customer has sent a photo of the damaged panel. What draws my attention is the mounting system, instead of the usual clamps there are large washers holding the module to the mounting rail.

Can anyone identify this mounting system please?

Attachments

• Mounting system identification Photo0741 - EletriciansForums.net
    Photo0741.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 83
These are Solarworld modules by the way. My suspicion is that the installers did not have clamps suitable for the 31mm frame so used the bolts from the clamps they had with large washers. I'm thinking it may be necessary to replace the mounting system as this does not look right to me.

that's the solarworld mounting system.

If you're looking for a replacement we have some of those panels in stock assuming they're the 250Wp models. The new model have 33mm frames, so you may struggle to get replacements from main suppliers.

Thanks for the info Gavin. I was also asked to line the top and bottom row of panels at the same time as they are about 100mm out. Customer had asked the installers to rectify this with no success. Given this poor attention to detail I was concerned that the mounting system had been bodged.
I'll have to get round there and measure the panels as they were only installed 8 months ago, do you know when Solarworld started shipping 33mm?

Thank you for the offer. I'll get back to you if I get stuck sourcing one.

Having checked a data sheet I notice the 33mm panel was introduced in 2015 so these could be 33 or 31mm. I'll have a measure up and give you a shout if I need a 31mm panel. Cheers.

actually I think they're the 33mm panels but used with the clips from the 31mm panels. The corners are black plastic on the new panels, vs aluminium on the 31mm panels. The new clips are rectangular.

I'd take some spare tiles with you as odds on there will be broken tiles under those panels if it's a shoddy install.

Yes they are 33mm panels. The aerial guy measured them when he was up there over the weekend, he even emailed me a picture as proof. Good point about the spare tiles, I have a load of these kicking around anyway.
As I'm not familiar with the Solarworld mounting system can you tell me whether it is acceptable/safe to use the 31mm clips? It's always a concern when working on someone else's dodgy install as the responsibility passes to my company.

Yes they are 33mm panels. The aerial guy measured them when he was up there over the weekend, he even emailed me a picture as proof. Good point about the spare tiles, I have a load of these kicking around anyway.
As I'm not familiar with the Solarworld mounting system can you tell me whether it is acceptable/safe to use the 31mm clips? It's always a concern when working on someone else's dodgy install as the responsibility passes to my company.

Use the STA's repair agreement template: The STA Repair Agreement - Solar Trade Association

In the current climate I'm not really in a position to join the STA. If things pick up a bit I'll certainly consider it.

I think we have done on commercial roof with low wind loading, wouldn't be so keen in a higher wind loading area.

I'd just replace it but note concerns about the wrong clips having been used and state that you can't be held liable for it (or use new clips for your bit)

That was along the lines of my thinking. I'll have a better idea of how comfortable I am with them once I get up there. If I'm that concerned I'll raise it with my customer and give him the option to replace the clips with the 33mm ones or sign a disclaimer.

Reply to Mounting system identification in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock