Discuss Mouse been in a wiring loom. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's the same in bms. Loads of "engineers with laptops" who don't understand the hvac control (engine) and just make matters worse. My only faith is with Audi. Tech I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about. Hopefully it doesn't end up with a work experience who keeps throwing ecus at it.

Yeah. I want the diagnostic tools. I have diagnostic software galore to interrogate building control systems and to integrate anything to anything through bespoke software drivers. The internet of things doesn't extend to cars yet. People fear cars being hacked. Why tie a car to another system.

In Dubai they supposedly have fire systems linked to both the fire station and then to traffic management smart roads. If a fire is detected the available service sets off and the smart roads clear a lane to the firey building. Getting people to think about the potential of integrating systems and how we can take benefit of one system and utilise it for another is tricky. Not everyone knows the benefit of other systems so at the moment we're just playing with ideas.

Not quite understanding you here do you want a one size fits all car diagnostic package, which would currently limit you to any one of the generic diagnostic offerings which only read the predefined DTC's that all manufacturers have to use or are you suggesting that all manufacturers should use the same CAN protocols and DTC's to make diagnostics a single unit fault find

Take a look at Gendan in Swansea, their diagnostic kit is pretty good.
Problem with manufacturers kit, is the people on the end of it. A lot of them nowadays just look at the computer & go oh that's what we need to change & when that bit doesn't work they'll change something else.
They don't know how the system works or how to actually pull out an Oscilloscope & Meter to actually diagnose the problem.
That's where a good independent wins, they have to know how things work & how to diagnose problems at grass roots level.

Gendan sell the Rosstech VAG diagnostics I mentioned earlier some of which is a free download on the Rosstech site

It's the same in bms. Loads of "engineers with laptops" who don't understand the hvac control (engine) and just make matters worse. My only faith is with Audi. Tech I spoke to seemed to know what he was talking about. Hopefully it doesn't end up with a work experience who keeps throwing ecus at it.

There are a lot of people who can talk the talk but can't deliver I don't think it matters whether you have the work experience guy or the senior tech working on your vehicle you are asking mechanics to be electronics technicians and that is a big ask

My next door neighbour when he was on the tools was a senior tech working on Volvo buses and went to Sweden a number of times a year on training courses most of the tooling on his van was electronic diagnostic kit as he did little spanner work he always says he trained as a mechanic and became an electronics tech, he is now a regional service manager and splits his work time between his original employer and Volvo UK talking to him he really knows his stuff including all the hybrid stuff and it can be helpful talking to him when I'm trying to fault find on any vehicle

So here's the dig. Audi had it for a week while I was away. I emailed the dolly bird to check in progress and another tech had given it a once over, followed a few of the chewed wires and said this rodent damage was superficial and not the cause. From what I can gather he tried to reset a fault with the steering sensor but couldn't do it, figured out the wheel alignment was out and did a 4 wheel track alignment and then recalibrated the sensor to the column and all's well again. I have my wheels back. Cost £176 + vat. Saved myself a bit more than expected and was surprised they didn't milk the wiring issue a bit more.
I am Going to spend a couple a hundreds on some software and a cable. I am intrigued to see what depth of configuration is available. Ideally I'd like to be able to see each ecu and make a mental picture of what controllers are in the cars electrical system and figure out their relationship. Will speak to gendan.

My wife has a rav 4. Will the Genden kid talk to her car too? I know it's vag but isn't it all can bus?
Cheers for any help
Ps
A couple of the chewed wires cables need a braiding solution but that can't go over the end. Is there any wraparound braiding any idea (new thread)??

Can't comment on the diagnostics kit, but for the wires I might be tempted to wrap each one that's been chewed in some self amalgamating tape and then cover the lot with some of the fabric loom wrapping tape that's pretty common on auto looms.

and another tech had given it a once over, followed a few of the chewed wires and said this rodent damage was superficial and not the cause. From what I can gather he tried to reset a fault with the steering sensor but couldn't do it, figured out the wheel alignment was out and did a 4 wheel track alignment and then recalibrated the sensor to the column and all's well again. I have my wheels back. Cost £176 + vat.

Great result !
Thanks for the update :)

Agreed that's a very fair price, unfortunately I don't think the diagnostic kit will be compatible with your wife's Rav4.
VAG diagnostics kit is normally tailored specifically to their vehicles, speak to Gendan before buying & they'll give you good advice. Not I might add, always tailored to their own kit.

Reply to Mouse been in a wiring loom. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock