Discuss Moving abroad, opportunity or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all.

Other half has potentially got a chance for a job across the pond in Canada. Not set in stone, but the missus has had a couple of interviews and things seem to be moving forward. So, I thought I need to make a few inquiries, just in case!

My only reservations are my own working life. I've grafted my head off and built up a good customer base these last two years since coming out my time and working for myself. Hand on heart, I can say business has been really good.
I feel like I'm throwing away all my hard work and uprooting away. But on the other-hand, I'm still a young lad and it will be a great experience for me.

Now, does anyone know the process of applying for a work permit for a sparks in Canada, and what hoops I'd have to jump through? Is there enough work for sparks out there? Hoping someone has first hand knowledge of it all. I've searched the forums on here, but I want a bit more up-to-date info from people, and maybe a bit of advice also.

Extra info: Alberta is where we're looking to be heading.

Cheers!

good luck with it. research it then go.

My mate used to work out there repairing ski lifts, he loved the lifestyle but works difficult. They have rules about employing Canadians before foreigners so he couldn't become an electrician out there. He got sick of not being able to work up the ladder due to politics, he came back to the UK and became a spark. I'd be giving it some serious thought, the grass isn't always greener and all that.

My mate used to work out there repairing ski lifts, he loved the lifestyle but works difficult. They have rules about employing Canadians before foreigners so he couldn't become an electrician out there. He got sick of not being able to work up the ladder due to politics, he came back to the UK and became a spark. I'd be giving it some serious thought, the grass isn't always greener and all that.

Am I right in saying your mate wasn't a sparks whilst he was out there then?
I'm more wondering the ease of transition from being a UK sparks over to Canada.

And about the grass not always being greener, you're damn right. I feel like I have a good thing going at the moment but also, the idea of a move has still got my ears pricked up! Cheers

You have to do your RED SEAL exam and Canadian wiring standards to transition over. Probably have to downgrade for a year to become competent. Massive Oil and Gas plant is being built near Alberta. Good coin. I work for a Canadian company in Aus. Would love to get over on that job too. But local labour always comes first.

He was just a skier that knew some basic mechanics. All he did was help the engineers mend the ski lifts, it's more mechanical. He wanted to join the electrical team but couldn't due to local laws. So he came back and did an apprenticeship, he still has the laid back Canadian mindset.

Sounds like you have worked hard and built a good customer base. It would be a shame to leave all that, how set on going is the other half?

You have to do your RED SEAL exam and Canadian wiring standards to transition over. Probably have to downgrade for a year to become competent. Massive Oil and Gas plant is being built near Alberta. Good coin. I work for a Canadian company in Aus. Would love to get over on that job too. But local labour always comes first.

Thanks a lot, I'll give the RED SEAL exam google. See who I have to get in touch with. Downgrade? Ie. Working as a Spark's mate?? I suppose that makes sense as I technically wouldn't be qualified over there.

He was just a skier that knew some basic mechanics. All he did was help the engineers mend the ski lifts, it's more mechanical. He wanted to join the electrical team but couldn't due to local laws. So he came back and did an apprenticeship, he still has the laid back Canadian mindset.

Sounds like you have worked hard and built a good customer base. It would be a shame to leave all that, how set on going is the other half?

It would be a shame to leave it. It's the main thing that's keeping me unsure whether to go for it.

She likes the idea of it. But as I mentioned, it isn't set in stone. She has made it through a couple of stages in the interview process. Was more of a 'apply-and-see-what-happens' now turning into a possible real deal.

You'll probably still be classed as a journey man. Maybe slightly lower paid.. if you have C&G qualifications then they are recognised as a prerequisite in the commonwealth. You shouldn't find it that difficult to transition. Obviously terminology will be different and standard voltages are 120v. Polyphase 240v three phase 415/480. depending on industries where sometimes they use a High Leg Delta transformer or heavy industrial where voltages Could range from 347 to 600v. Frequency is 60HZ shouldn't affect anything too much unless you work with heavy motors and or harmonics.

You'll probably still be classed as a journey man. Maybe slightly lower paid.. if you have C&G qualifications then they are recognised as a prerequisite in the commonwealth. You shouldn't find it that difficult to transition. Obviously terminology will be different and standard voltages are 120v. Polyphase 240v three phase 415/480. depending on industries where sometimes they use a High Leg Delta transformer or heavy industrial where voltages Could range from 347 to 600v. Frequency is 60HZ shouldn't affect anything too much unless you work with heavy motors and or harmonics.

I missed this reply. Thanks mate. Doing a bit of digging about last couple of days and yeah I have C&G quals, so most likely be classed as a journeyman (our equiv to a general installation sparks)

I guess the rest it up to me now. Much appreciated for all the info!

Reply to Moving abroad, opportunity or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net