Discuss Moving Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AdieB

-
Reaction score
I have to move a Consumer unit approximately 6 mts. Had suggestion buy NAPIT technical to fit enclosure with terminal rail and terminals and then extend cables to new consumer unit. As the enclosure will not be readily available the terminal method would not be Maintenance Free. (If there was a problem in the future access to the enclosure could be achieved but would make a mess of decoration) Is there a Maintenance Free enclosure that will take multiple cables on the market? Or is it multiple J803 and the like. Anyone done something similar?

AdieB

You have all the Qualifications needed the Adie what are they exactly?

I had to extend an installation replacing a consumer unit last week. Not quite that long, but I used Wagoboxes, installed in maintenance free mode (i.e. with required de-rating and ensuring maximum aggregate current was not breached as I used one box for a couple of circuits) in an accessible location (in the ceiling void above the CU) and documented it on the EIC for the work.

And I concur with Midwest... if it's got screws in it, it should be accessible.

Even with Wago cage clamp connectors (there're other manufacturers), the enclosure should be accessible IMO. If this is not achievable, look at other methods as SparkyChick suggested, or partial rewire of feeds to RFC, Radials etc.

Anyhow, my soufflés are in the oven, and I'm just have 5 mins before I need to prepare my Béarnaise sauce for my Chateaubriand. We having fried Mars Bar for pud. :)

I have to move a Consumer unit approximately 6 mts. Had suggestion buy NAPIT technical to fit enclosure with terminal rail and terminals and then extend cables to new consumer unit. As the enclosure will not be readily available the terminal method would not be Maintenance Free. (If there was a problem in the future access to the enclosure could be achieved but would make a mess of decoration) Is there a Maintenance Free enclosure that will take multiple cables on the market? Or is it multiple J803 and the like. Anyone done something similar?

AdieB
Where do you intend to fit the extension box?

AdieB

Hum.......

Metal enclosure, DIN rail Wago connectors, or DIN connectors
If you absolutely have to have it non accessible due to decoration and all, I would go with Pete's idea as Wago on a DIN rail will be maintenance free and the non combustible enclosure will take care of the other regulation requirement. Just make top job of it and document it well with photo on EIC.

Asked my Scheme recently, their opinion on such an enclosure as to whether it would be classified as 'similar switchgear', as described in reg 421.1.201.

''This will be the decision of the designer but it would suggest based on our guidance in this situation the enclosures and connections do not fall under 'similar switchgear''.

Asked my Scheme recently, their opinion on such an enclosure as to whether it would be classified as 'similar switchgear', as described in reg 421.1.201.

''This will be the decision of the designer but it would suggest based on our guidance in this situation the enclosures and connections do not fall under 'similar switchgear''.
Good bit of buck passing by your Scheme there Middy

You have all the Qualifications needed the Adie what are they exactly?

I am of the older generation. I have A B & C and 17th Edition City and Guilds I also have the inspection and Test certificate and have been in the electrical industry since 1973 when I did my indentured apprenticeship. I am a also registered with NAPIT.

The meter has already been moved and new tails installed . In the meter box due to the length of the tails an 100A isolation switch has been fitted.

The meter has already been moved and new tails installed . In the meter box due to the length of the tails an 100A isolation switch has been fitted.

Is that a switch fuse with a 100A fuse or just an isolator rated at 100A? If the tails are over 3m it will need to be a switch fuse.

The other option which nobody has mentioned so far is soldered or crimped joints with a liberal application of suitably rated heat shrink sleeving. Just a thought.

The extension box is in place of the old consumer unit. the cables will then extend to the new consumer unit location
In that case the connections would be accessible wouldn't they? ergo no need for MF connectors.

Reply to Moving Consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net