Discuss Moving cu. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

This looks good stuff are we saying this could be used internally and count as a metal barrier to prevent penetration by nails, screws and the like, to enable tails to be chased into the wall, or just for protection up an outside wall?

This looks good stuff are we saying this could be used internally and count as a metal barrier to prevent penetration by nails, screws and the like, to enable tails to be chased into the wall, or just for protection up an outside wall?
Not sure about using it, to negate RCD protection. Need to consult the regs.

Not sure about using it, to negate RCD protection. Need to consult the regs.
Well the reg's are fairly clear, don't want to recite them chapter and verse, but it does make reference to the fact that "mechanical protection from penetration by screws, nails and the like is very difficult to achieve in practice". Now, lets say you ran the tails up an internal wall below the CU, protected by some of this stuff but less than 50mm. If it was deeper than 50mm it might fall foul of the reg's by weakening the wall (unless its a solid 9" wall?) I am just thinking off the top of my head here.
So the only way you could do it and not have RCD protection is the physical barrier. So, in practice, it is going to be under threat from the following 1. Nails - would take a big nail and a lot of effort to penetrate? 2. Screws - would usually need a masonary drill first. A masonary drill will just stop dead up against steel, unless it is really hammered home with an SDS. At the end of the day, you can never stop a really determined effort, or an idiot. Would earthing it still bot be a good idea, even if not actually required?

Its used on a lot of new build sites to protect the tails from the meter box to the CCU position. Screwed to the wall then dot and dabbed over. Imo it satisfies the requirements of 522.6.204 (iv).

On new builds with external meter box I've been using this to protect the tails to the CCU. External Cable Protectors http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii3wAtp3g3U

Thanks Lee for sharing this product with us, the video seems pretty convincing. I understand that there has been debate about viability of other similar products, such as 'cable safe plates'. Some were of poor quality, under a certain thickness for example. I see that this manufacturer states it's 1.5mm thick steel?

I guess when installing this particular product, you would be reliant on the manufactures specification and testing to some standard. I've search reg 522.6.204, and noted that # iv) can be difficult to achieve, not withstanding their demo video.

I note that the manufacturer does not suggest this product should be used concealed in walls, or have I misinterpreted your post?

Still not sure of the concept of concealing meter tails (6181y cable) in walls, and reliant on protection by this product. I note that it can be cut by a chop saw, guess someone with a wall chaser could do the same.

Thanks Lee for sharing this product with us, the video seems pretty convincing. I understand that there has been debate about viability of other similar products, such as 'cable safe plates'. Some were of poor quality, under a certain thickness for example. I see that this manufacturer states it's 1.5mm thick steel?

I guess when installing this particular product, you would be reliant on the manufactures specification and testing to some standard. I've search reg 522.6.204, and noted that # iv) can be difficult to achieve, not withstanding their demo video.

I note that the manufacturer does not suggest this product should be used concealed in walls, or have I misinterpreted your post?

Still not sure of the concept of concealing meter tails (6181y cable) in walls, and reliant on protection by this product. I note that it can be cut by a chop saw, guess someone with a wall chaser could do the same.

The regulation asks for protection against penetration by nails, screws and the like. Says nothing about chop saws, grinders, chasers or wrecking balls. :)

Reply to Moving cu. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net