Discuss MR16 LED Vs GU10 LED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading my Halogen MR16 to LED.
Purely from a hassle factor I'm thinking to convert to GU10 LED as insulation test are so much easier.
Any reason why you might choose MR16 LED over GU10 LED?

Thanks,

One less electronic device to go wrong
One less electronic device to power and lose energy through
More to go wrong with MR16
Greater amount of choice with GU10
Can I stop now?

I'm looking at upgrading my Halogen MR16 to LED.
Purely from a hassle factor I'm thinking to convert to GU10 LED as insulation test are so much easier.
Any reason why you might choose MR16 LED over GU10 LED?

Thanks,

What's a halogen lamp? :)

Curious as to know how changing to LED, makes life easier when testing; install wiring, test circuit, install luminaires. Just saying.

lol I think it means easier to test a 240v system to testing low voltage and I am like everyone else I have never fitted MR16 unless it one of those dam fan lights I hate so much and the customer got it ! GU 10 all the way for me ! I never really understood the idea people had that low voltage was saving them money lol

Yeh G9s that come with every customer purchase 'colours' range from B+Q. Had to fit 9 in one day - glad to go home.
Edit . Sorry D00DY thought you meant LED lamps other than GU10

Yeh G9s that come with every customer purchase 'colours' range from B+Q. Had to fit 9 in one day - glad to go home.
Edit . Sorry D00DY thought you meant LED lamps other than GU10
Once agreed to change a light after work for a family friend for the cost of petrol.

Of course it was one with 12 glass covers to be fitted and fiddly little lamps that explode as soon as you touch it with your skin.

And it had to be adjusted so it'd fit the rather low ceiling in the living room. Fun times.

I fitted 50 GU10 downlights in one ceiling in one day wired on 7 circuits to represent 7 constellations of the stars and in the centre was a large round light that could be lit in quarters to represent the moon looked lovely but never again lol

I fitted 50 GU10 downlights in one ceiling in one day wired on 7 circuits to represent 7 constellations of the stars and in the centre was a large round light that could be lit in quarters to represent the moon looked lovely but never again lol
I've seen one of them in a bathroom with fibreglass. Thought it was pretty funky.

Not so much to install:D

What's a halogen lamp? :)

Curious as to know how changing to LED, makes life easier when testing; install wiring, test circuit, install luminaires. Just saying.
Curious only 'cos we are testing the circuit, not the luminaires. Why do people rate something that's clearly not obvious, and not post their reply, or have I missed that?

I'll bet you stood back when powering that up - 50watt halogens would vaporise you if all 'constellations' on at the same time!

Curious only 'cos we are testing the circuit, not the luminaires. Why do people rate something that's clearly not obvious, and not post their reply, or have I missed that?

I'm not sure I fully understand your post, but to clarify. Moving to LED is background information. The relevant part is moving from MR16 to GU10.
The reason I say it's easier is when doing EICR on GU10 I simply remove bulbs and can complete all insulation resistance tests. But with MR16 I can only do Live conductors connected together and earth, unless I want to disconnect the transformers.

The reason for going for MR16 16 years ago was because I was told they give off a better light. But now I'm thinking I was suckered into "The Emperor's New Clothes"

I will only convert from MR16 to GU10 if earth is available for each fitting. I have come across a couple of jobs where the old cabling has all the earth’s cut back, making conversion impractical.

I am converting some Halogen MR16 to LED MR16 on Tuesday. The only reason they are sticking with MR16 is because they have swivel and scoop fittings that won't take GU10. It means I had to source some dimmable drivers for the LED's, which was a pain because not all drivers work with some LED MR16's. I found some eventually though that work ok.

Normally I would always convert to GU10. I have one particular location that I have customers at that was an old Victorian house converted to luxury apartments two years ago and the developers used Halogen MR16's throughout. So far I have converted 3 of the 6 apartments to LED GU10's. The biggest apartment had 85 downlights, the bill just for the bulbs came in at £680! The other two apartments had 60+ downlights in each.

Either side of the Victorian house are two houses in the same developement, I am converting one of those soon it has 105 downlights. I've converted so many now I can knock them out really quickly.

Reply to MR16 LED Vs GU10 LED in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock