Discuss My apprentice tool backack in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would agree about the voltage tester, the claw hammer or at least a heavier hammer, and the small level; I use a caravan level, but even one of the small set squares with a level in it is quite useful.
Have both posidrive and philips screwdrivers.
I would have though a bright (but cheap) head torch may well be absolutely invaluable.
A battery screwdriver/drill will be useful fairly soon.

I applaud the initiative in getting the cup of tea for the boss ready early, but it may get cold by tomorrow!

I hope it all goes well and always remember that you have to know something before you can get it right so ask first.
Hopefully your first day may be a bit of induction, but sometimes it is right to it!
Very best of luck.

A lot of the apprentices at the commercial job I am on have the fatmax backpack with the handle and wheels but I've noticed that Stanley have ditched the very strong shoulder straps that Humbles and mine have, I guess that they expect you to pull it more than carry it on your shoulders - bad idea in my view. Good choice though Humble in my opinion though we do have some elite on here that would spend an extra £130 on a Veto (looks good being placed into their vivaro sportive!)
Elite means far too much cash to waste on tool bags with a label, stick to your Fatmax Mate save your money for more tools.

The ck boat level / pocket level / torpedo level is a very handy bit of kit. One of the vials is designed to detach so it can be used in back boxes, when finished just clip it back in to the level
This level from screwfix is ideal for backboxes... use one quite regularly when putting backboxes in. Only £9.99 and takes up barely any space in your tool bag
Beta Magnetic Pocket Spirit Level 70mm - http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/beta-magnetic-pocket-spirit-level-70mm/2404k#product_additional_details_container

That hammer haha.

Not sure if already mentioned, but I'd get a decent set of cutters, something like CK's cable cutters. Personal preference of course.

Good luck! Such a great time being an apprentice, in my opinion anyway.

If you can't put a back box in without a stuffin level you ought to give up, a 9" bolt level is all you want for final fixes.

Torpedo level
Bolster
Claw hammer
Padsaw
Tape Measure
3.5mm rethreading tool aka tap
Half round file
20mm wood chisel

Are bits I find invaluable

Other bits to add along the way

Telephone punch tool
RJ45 crimper
Shears
Waterpump pliers
8,10&13mm spanners
Big hacksaw
PVC pipe cutter

Hi guys,

Just wondering on your thoughts of my little starter setup I didn't include a chisel in the photo or hacksaw but the hacksaw is a 5 in 1 stanley fatmax which is arriving tomorrow.
I hope at least by rocking up with this kit my boss will think I'm serious about learning and excelling in the trade.

Anything you guys think I've missed that I'd need on a daily basis please do pipe up and let me know

Have a quality Sunday everyone.
Cheers
HW

View attachment 37702

View attachment 37703

View attachment 37704

View attachment 37705
It's such a nice change to see an apprentice eager, asking questions and having a good decent start up kit. If you keep the same attitude on your Electrical Apprenticeship journey you will go far, never be afraid to ask questions and take notes if your seeing something 2 way light switches etc, the more you work with different Sparks and seeing what they have and as you progress you'll know what you need. If you look after your tools they'll last forever, one of the most important things about being a Spark or Apprentice is always test for dead and lock off any circuit your working on! You will be taught all this as you go, but very impressed with your tool kit and very good luck for the future, if you need to ask anything or not sure about something then post it on here and I'm sure you'll get the support. Have a great time and stay safe.

Hi guys,

Just wondering on your thoughts of my little starter setup I didn't include a chisel in the photo or hacksaw but the hacksaw is a 5 in 1 stanley fatmax which is arriving tomorrow.
I hope at least by rocking up with this kit my boss will think I'm serious about learning and excelling in the trade.

Anything you guys think I've missed that I'd need on a daily basis please do pipe up and let me know

Have a quality Sunday everyone.
Cheers
HW

View attachment 37702

View attachment 37703

View attachment 37704

View attachment 37705
It's such a nice change to see an apprentice eager, asking questions and having a good decent start up kit. If you keep the same attitude on your Electrical Apprenticeship journey you will go far, never be afraid to ask questions and take notes if your seeing something 2 way light switches etc, the more you work with different Sparks and seeing what they have and as you progress you'll know what you need. If you look after your tools they'll last forever, one of the most important things about being a Spark or Apprentice is always test for dead and lock off any circuit your working on! You will be taught all this as you go, but very impressed with your tool kit and very good luck for the future, if you need to ask anything or not sure about something then post it on here and I'm sure you'll get the support. Have a great time and stay safe.

Cheers bud I don't know why more don't see it this way as I see it, I'm an older apprentice 25 and I'm paying for the course myself but for me doing the day to day work and gaining the hands on experience is more valuable and seeing the more ways to skin a cat the better as it helps you understand it more.
Wish I'd got into the trade much sooner rather than being a mechanic but such is life and hindsight is 20/20 my enthusiasm to just work and learn is borderline obsessive haha.

HW

upload_2017-8-6_21-55-1.png yeah ,a tent to go with that bag and one of theirs.upload_2017-8-6_21-59-41.png

You've obviously no idea how popular these bags are @buzzlightyear - everyone has them because they are awesome bags at an unbelievable price (£36) Wickes.
Those that carry the open tote on a shoulder strap on the 16 story job we've got, usually last a week before buying one. Funny when you see a very experienced spark turn up with a gleaming new bag - I'm glad mine is weather worn now - I look like I know what I'm doing! Ssssh don't tell them!!

Tool tart, an ugly term. I am in denial of being one fortunately. This allow me to buy things needlessly. It is sad today chipping off the bathroom tiles at home (apart from going through the shower pipe) with me Bosch SDS it started packing up, I was quite elated thinking wow I will have to buy a new one. Then I realised it was just the brushes, boring! Anyway (ahem) I thought well I will have to get out my Makita SDS then. See how bad that is?

Name dropper :rolleyes::)

You've obviously no idea how popular these bags are @buzzlightyear - everyone has them because they are awesome bags at an unbelievable price (£36) Wickes.
Those that carry the open tote on a shoulder strap on the 16 story job we've got, usually last a week before buying one. Funny when you see a very experienced spark turn up with a gleaming new bag - I'm glad mine is weather worn now - I look like I know what I'm doing! Ssssh don't tell them!!

No argument mate, best bag I've bought. Even if the bloody thing did fall off a chair & spill it's guts everywhere:(

Reply to My apprentice tool backack in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net