Discuss My Builder - Beware. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

One of my previous customers has set up a tradesman directory website. Shortly after setting up he had to rethink his whole charging strategy. I have wished him well. :S

One of my previous customers has set up a tradesman directory website. Shortly after setting up he had to rethink his whole charging strategy. I have wished him well. :S

There are just so many of them. Which one's a potential customer going to use?

I guess that most people just stick "electrician mytown" into Google and see what pops up. That's how most of my customers find me, apart from the ones that have a recommendation from an existing customer.

once did a stint with rated people. at the time, a failed to contact lead was credited. so i bought a failed £4 for a small job, got the credit, then used that to get a £22 lead for a rewire. buggers cottoned on, though and then stopped the credits.

how many of these pariste sites are there out there
To many
I got scammed years ago by 118trades.com since then I give all these parasitic ----ers a wide berth after venting my anger on them when they call, in the end they all get a foxtrot oscar tablet.
That includes
  • Trusted traders
  • My hammer
  • My builder
  • Rated people

once did a stint with rated people. at the time, a failed to contact lead was credited. so i bought a failed £4 for a small job, got the credit, then used that to get a £22 lead for a rewire. buggers cottoned on, though and then stopped the credits.

I did the free trial with them. What a load of garbage !
Reports from customers about the others that had come to quote suggested that it was packed with cowboys too.

I disagree to a certain extent. I know a few lads who earn good money off my builder and provide them with alot of regular jobs. I had a page when I needed extra work and you do pay large amounts for REWIRES and I have had the same situation where the installtion was fine and the client was just unsure. That is only on rewires I would say 80% of the work is alterations,new lighting, consumer units etc. You are normally charge around £2-£5 if shortlisted and as long as you arent charging mad prices the work normally follows. As I say not for everyone but a good friend of mine gets along most weeks on £500-600 just of mybuilder changing lights and adding sockets normally not 5 day weeks either. For me not abad way to supplement your earnings if you want it!

I did the free trial with them. What a load of garbage !
Reports from customers about the others that had come to quote suggested that it was packed with cowboys too.

Number one "electrician" on one of these sites for my local area states under qualifications "16th edition qualified". Light go on, no bang, lecky good right?

Reply to My Builder - Beware. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net