Discuss My first difficult client! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never trust a client who leaves it to you to decide on positioning of lights , I always go through with them on the positioning , also its always down to you to drill holes in ceilings, as any holes made by others is usually of the wrong size and position , and always draw a plan before the ceiling goes up with all joist shown and positioning of the light fittings , and one last thing never trust a client, they always change their mind , you will usually find the more you're willing to go ahead with the changes the more they try it on ,

The experiences I have had with builders is crap to say the least , I f you have come in through the customer , and a builders on site , they usually try any trick in the book to P-SS you off , they have there own sparks in mind and think your taking cash out of their pockets ,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another update and a bit more advice needed..

The lady is continually changing her mind now, stating she would supply sockets, now asking me to.. agreeing to a price (its only 5 sockets!!) and now saying does this include the back box (which I had already stated was extra) etc etc etc.

I have just sent a very clear e-mail detailing what the remainder of the cost will be and await a reply.

Quite frankly I am annoyed (yet remaining professional and polite!! ggrrr) and dont want to continue with the job as she has deliberately tried to con me with regards the downlights. What are the legal implications of just walking away from a job after the first fix? Everything has been left completely safe. I dont expect this will happen but the odds are raising!!

I had em all the time working for a DNO , and it was harder to deal with not just a customer but the company as well , that always looked upon it as your fault and customers always right , in your position lay it down clearly what was quoted and if you have a proper quotation all written out then great , if not or its not comprehensive enough then I would get it done ASAP and discuss all thats on it with the woman , and get it with a stage payment with works completed to date and get her to pay for it , its not easy I know but I sympathise with you , it seems there are people out there set to try it on before work even starts mate .

A company I worked for years back had a similar issue,the woman was quoted for 15 sockets downstairs,trouble was she kept changing their locations,always after the first fix,in the end the sockets had been fitted and relocated that many times it was down as something like 60 on the first fix bill,she went mental apparently she thought that each time she changed her mind we should alter it for nothing.

Thanks Ray.
I have just had a reply to my extensive, precise, polite e.mail (which I should have done at the beginning), saying:

"Yeah that's fine"

Hope that's the end of it! :)

Some customers are out to get you and if theres any hint of you being new to the game or the slightest reason for them to cause problems then they will , what we must do is have a full and comprehensive quotation with a customers signature at the bottom if accepted and conditions all set out on the rear , and stating on the front any alterations may be subject to additional cost and must be advised before start of works to avoid further costs ..
I had it all in the past many years ago , and I am looking for this sort of thing ...

You know what they say , This job would be all right if it weren't for the customers..LOL..

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in business would be a joy if it weren't for three things:

1. Customers.

2. Suppliers.

4. HM Revenue & Customs.

you forgot speed cameras and scams. ( the niceic variety, not the nigerian solicitor wanting you to process £10,000,000 and share 50/50.

you forgot speed cameras and scams. ( the niceic variety, not the nigerian solicitor wanting you to process £10,000,000 and share 50/50.

Cant say I've ever been troubled by Speed Cameras.

I have been pulled by unmarked plodwaggens twice though and got 3 points each time, and I got the second batch after the first batch had expired.

There was a third time but that came to nothing after I pointed-out to the plod that his headlight wasn't working and therefore he was driving a defective vehicle ..... :)

Well!!! I have spoken to the builder at last and he seems like a thoroughly decent bloke.

The customer is basically trying it on. She told the builder she had changed her mind about the downlights and didn't want them and would try to knock the price down with the electrician by saying they were not spaced correctly
(the only grain of truth was that the builder had said 2 of the cables may have to be brought through to the other side of the joist they were hanging on to get all the lights symetrical - a 2 minute job).

Unbelievable.... although I'm sure you guys have come across this type of thing before.

Luckily its just the husband there on friday and he seems ok(ish), so I should get paid!!

The builder said he has had a nightmare with her as well and will be saying he is far too busy when asked for any future jobs!!

You have to be multi-talented as an electrician dont you..

debt collector, counsellor, diplomat!!!
Impossible, you have a lot to learn yet unfortunately, they are total numpties
I would have spoken to the client asking her about this myself, it seems to me some untruths have been told by someone and I wouldn't settle with just finishing the job under those circumstances. I would want to know who said what and would expect proper communication in regard to positioning of cabling, the builder sounds like a total tool, to just board over the cables without dialogue with you proves it, I would run a mile from him in future, he is the sort of buffoon to avoid, especially if you want to do a good job and gain a reputation.

Thanks Ray.
I have just had a reply to my extensive, precise, polite e.mail (which I should have done at the beginning), saying:

"Yeah that's fine"

Hope that's the end of it! :)
Keep the email, print the email, take a copy of the printed email with you to the job in case of any queries.
If anything else changes write out a quick quote and get it signed by the customer, if you can.

Sounds like you are getting there, get it finished and never return!

Keep the email, print the email, take a copy of the printed email with you to the job in case of any queries.
If anything else changes write out a quick quote and get it signed by the customer, if you can.

Sounds like you are getting there, get it finished and never return!

but forewarned is forearmed, and next time he will be more prepared. shame to lose a customer if this tale has a happy ending.

You missed a few:

5. Plumbers

6. Builders

7. Kev the kitchen fitter

8. Paul from the pub

9. The father in law who knows everything

I've had the father in law who knew it all,

Client rung me up after I had given her an estimate for new metallic light fittings. She had been talking to her father in law who informed her that all houses built in the 70's needed extra earthing on the lighting circuits. She was worried that I would add all this on to the price after finishing the job.

I explained to her that if she recalled, I checked several pendants during the visit to make sure that the lighting was all earthed, which it was.

'well Dad knows about these things, he says he's had to have it done twice'

I told her she was welcome to get a second opinion but also that if I found any part of the circuit without earthing, I would upgrade it for free and she still had doubts!!!

Reply to My first difficult client! in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net