Discuss Mystery Black Box ??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hello,
Went out to visit a house last night and the owner admitted that the best description for her electrics was "Interesting"
Anyways a local spark has been up there a lot, and admittedly rewired almost the entire property except this one room, a treatment room of sorts. She through a friend and her son who I know well have said slightest thing goes e.g. a lamp and all the electricity goes out, and so she wanders around with a little kind of sticky backed LED torch affair on her pocket ! as when it goes it's upstairs and downstairs ring finals, lights all through and lots more. She seems to have power through to treatment room via a few 4 -6 way extension leads and referencing one Belkin one she told me that the electrician who was originally doing loads of works said it's ok because it's specifically for computers ! ( it is Belkin ) but nothing more than really anti-surge extension lead. So there are I think 3 or 4 large computers, quite old ones estimated and so I'm thinking has CU got RCD's i.e. combined leakage currents ? Then she says she lost it at electrician who tripped power one day as treatments going on and clients panicked as all went dark ! I think he just tripped a protective device. I find local CU and all just hager mcb's and no rcd's etc..

Then I ask her son and he says oh yes another board up there pointing at a back room / alley inside. There is a 3 phase Hager D/B with various circuits and running a feed down from there to other sub CU I originally found which only has a type B 50A RCBO protecting it single pole @ 30mA trip ! Now starts to make sense with the computers in what she says is an old damp room, kitchen ring, washing machines, fridge all fed from the RCBO to the other CU ! So thats I'm guessing why the computers won't stay running from the treatment room but do from extension leads in a different ring / part of property.

So this is the more fun bit ! She says the Original electrician turned up with a black box held out in front of him at arms length and wandered around the treatment room saying "you want around 100 and normally no lower than 40, and you're at 10 in here and when you get down to 3 you're really going to have to get it re-wired in here " ?? I have no idea what the heck this black box is / could be or what he was measuring other than paranormal ectoplasm or such. I did ask her if he was checking the Wi-Fi signal as that would've made more sense on db loss but no she said to do with the sockets not working in there for computers ! She also mentioned the re-wiring of the sockets that 2 x others apparently diy'ers had said they could do as she won't have floors up or walls chased in there.. Don't think it's the wiring, I'm thinking the original 30mA RCBO is bad design feeding the entire CU down there with no discrimination or arrangement of final circuits.

She's a bit far out but lovely and a white witch, crystals, tarot readings, and so I'm informed high priestess of paganism and occult stuff so I've got to be on my best behaviour.

Thing is previous spark is very good and has run some big jobs over here.

It's a beauty ! then she tells me that her estranged other son had a workshop for joinery etc.. in the stables so the other spark kitted it out and while he wasn't around she chucked the gear out and made it into a stable again ! and the spark told her off to do with electricity and it being an issue with metal horseshoes in there etc.. bad for the animals etc.. think she's getting at the earthing arrangement and wiring method he may have used out there.

Probably catering to the popular appeal and measuring the magnetic field intensity in the room, though I would have then expected lower is better, maybe he was holding it upside down.:confused5:

Everyone should have the black box tester, it is more important than a MFT, multimeter, clamp meter, violt stick or any other type of fault finding equipment, the black box tester will make you look good to the customer as they will think you have got the best test equipment going.
Any self respecting sparks would have one in their kit forget about the pricey toolbags we all need the black box tester and at the end of the day if you buy the more expensive black box with the IP rating of XXXXX you can put your smokes in it to keep them dry
Will post a link when I get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply to Mystery Black Box ??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net