Discuss NAPIT and registration in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dragon-av

HI Chaps as you may know i do Custom AV installs, anyway with Part P Part L and 17th edition as well as other factors there are several things i would like to do. One of them is to be able to test and certify the electrical side of the installs myself. The other is be able to understand the new wiring regs as we install alot of caopper for non 240V applications TCP/IP data, Speakers, RS232 etc as well as fititing lighting control systems and adapting existing lighting circuits.

So I had a really good conversation with NAPIT (much better than NICEIC) who were really helpful regarding training (which they said i didnt necassarily need) although i would like to do some formal qualifications (i quite collecting bits of paper). Anyway they told me i would have to submit several jobs for them to then decide to come and inspect. How does this work? Do i have to get someone else to certify these jobs? Notify building control? Most of my work is not notifiable, can this still be used for assesment?

HI Chaps as you may know i do Custom AV installs, anyway with Part P Part L and 17th edition as well as other factors there are several things i would like to do. One of them is to be able to test and certify the electrical side of the installs myself. The other is be able to understand the new wiring regs as we install alot of caopper for non 240V applications TCP/IP data, Speakers, RS232 etc as well as fititing lighting control systems and adapting existing lighting circuits.

So I had a really good conversation with NAPIT (much better than NICEIC) who were really helpful regarding training (which they said i didnt necassarily need) although i would like to do some formal qualifications (i quite collecting bits of paper). Anyway they told me i would have to submit several jobs for them to then decide to come and inspect. How does this work? Do i have to get someone else to certify these jobs? Notify building control? Most of my work is not notifiable, can this still be used for assesment?

Depends what you aare going for, are you aware of 'scope'?

If you were joining as a 'B' scope domestic installer, then you would be able to do single new circuits only

with 'C', you can ammend / alter exiisting circuits only

With 'full scope' (A) you can do mulitple circuits (i.e. a rewire)

the point is that which ever scope you are going for, it is reasonable for the competent persons scheme you are joining to see examples of that scope of work

You could not expect to show them a spur. for example, if you were going full scope!

The work must be work that YOU have done, and YOU have tested, inspected and certified, this will include any Part P requirements that may be applicable

If you just do minor, non-notifiable jobs then it is unlikely that you would go full scope - it sounds like level C may be ok for you

on the other side of the coin, you have to shell out about 500 quid for a meter, assuming you are going to do the EAL DEI and C&G 2382 17th edition, why not put your meter to good use, and do everything you are capable of doing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have any desire to start competing with sparks on rewire and other electrical work all i need to be able to do is supply power to the AV installs and Lighting control mostly its not notifiable but there are bits that maybe Kitchen TV's being an example which i would like to be able to do on my own so i think scope B is emough for me to be able do what i need to. I assume that B includes the elements of C and A includes them all.

Reply to NAPIT and registration in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock