Discuss Napit course on emergency lighting and fire alarm systems in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

I want to get competent within BS5266 (I think!) i.e. fire alarms and emergency lighting. I am thinking of doing the Napit course. Any opinions on the best way forward on this, or Napit course?

Hi - I haven't done any specific training, but I do use the IET guides and have found them helpful.
BS5839 in Guide to Fire Detection and Alarm Systems.
BS5266 in Guide to Emergency Lighting.

I gave the NAPIT fire alarm and emergency ligthing courses a go but it was over 20 years ago not long after they were founded. They were a fledgling company and it showed in their courses which were ill conceived. I remember several of us correcting the tutor on the emergency lighting course and we were actually refunded.
I can only assume things have changed.

Thanks for the above. Food for thought. I suppose it's about having the bit of paper. I already maintain and test loads of emergency lights at various large buildings just thought I aught to have the paper for it.

Thanks for the above. Food for thought. I suppose it's about having the bit of paper. I already maintain and test loads of emergency lights at various large buildings just thought I aught to have the paper for it.
Your right, but doing courses will help ensure there isn't anything that you miss. I recently did emergency lighting with NICEIC training. Found out that emergency lighting is actually a legal requirement in commercial and communal areas over two stories (written in RRO before anyone qurstions me on it) and that by not providing photoetric spacing data with our certificates that our systems are invalid...Lots of remedial work we need to correct now. Definitely advise doing the courses

@Wilko You say the BS standards are useful, do you have copies? The cost of them is a bit high isn't it? I think its crazy there is so many references to BS standards in BS7671 that seem to assume everyone has access to them, but at the price not many sole traders do. I would have thought that access was essential for many of the standards mentioned and the price should be within the budget of the average person. But...if wishes were fishes....

BS5266-1 is very expensive for what it is but it is a required document puts the cost of 7671 into perspective.

@Wilko You say the BS standards are useful, do you have copies? The cost of them is a bit high isn't it? I think its crazy there is so many references to BS standards in BS7671 that seem to assume everyone has access to them, but at the price not many sole traders do. I would have thought that access was essential for many of the standards mentioned and the price should be within the budget of the average person. But...if wishes were fishes....

Hi V - sorry missed post - you said it brother, the cost of Standards docs are <expletive deleted> outrageous !!!
So I followed a great @Dan post in the resources section and joined a library that has read access to all standards. Being a beginner in 5266 and 5839, I bought the IET guides too :)

I recently read that thread and my library card came through the post today. The 5839 is rediculously expensive at £240 - it's a book not the Guttenburg Bible (though it is the Fire bible!)

£380 but you can get the member price of £190 if you join for £194! Do they think we've all just got off the boat?

Watch it @Vortigern, too many people from Bristol joining their Newcastle library online, they may get the wrong idea. I hope they don't think I'll be taken any crime novels over the counter - cheaper to buy a mobile library than travel all that way!

Did you know British Standards have to be written to a standard and guidance for this can be found in BS0 the British Standard for all British Standards.

Reply to Napit course on emergency lighting and fire alarm systems in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock