Discuss napit or NIC registration pros & cons in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All
Im considering joining Napit or NIC in order to self certificate.
Just wondered if any of the pros have any advice which might be better (pros & cons)
Thanks in advance

if all you want is the ability to self certify then Stroma is your friend.

I left Elecsa last year and joined Stroma.

£200 saved and the none of this "mandatory" warranty charges rubbish either....

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with Stroma
The NICEIC are too expensive and , in my experience, their Engineers think their job is to pick fault and criticise.
NAPIT, even though they have been around a while are unheard-of outside the electrical world.
Hope this helps

I can't have this lol let's stir it up a bit!!!!!!
I am with Niceic as an approved contractor because for me it's basic business sense, I very very very rarely touch Domestic so I did a little survey with my Ind/commercial customers and out of all of them not one knew of any other schemes apart from Niceic and equally neither did their insurance companies who all specify Niceic. So rightly or wrongly Niceic is the most recogonised scheme in my experience, now my main purpose is to run a successful business which I like to think I do!! I have a large customer base with some very large and well known companies in that customer base and they all insist on Niceic so that's exactly what i give them, it's basic common sense in my eyes.
Also just to pick up on Archie's post # 10, about their assessors I hear this quite a lot on forums but I have to say that our guy is spot on, he really knows his stuff and also is really helpful when our time comes round every year ( I must just be one of the lucky one's )
So based on all the above i would never dream of leaving them.
PS Just my opinion and experience.

I am with Niceic as an approved contractor because for me it's basic business sense, I very very very rarely touch Domestic so I did a little survey with my Ind/commercial customers and out of all of them not one knew of any other schemes apart from Niceic and equally neither did their insurance companies who all specify Niceic. So rightly or wrongly Niceic is the most recogonised scheme in my experience, now my main purpose is to run a successful business which I like to think I do!! I have a large customer base with some very large and well known companies in that customer base and they all insist on Niceic so that's exactly what i give them, it's basic common sense in my eyes.
Also just to pick up on Archie's post # 10, about their assessors I hear this quite a lot on forums but I have to say that our guy is spot on, he really knows his stuff and also is really helpful when our time comes round every year ( I must just be one of the lucky one's )

From another view point

i went from nic a c to stroma this year, works mostly domestic/commercial, i have found generally customers just want you to turn up and do a good job, dont really care about being registered, most are not even bothered about certificates that i issue, it seems electricians are so much more bothered who your registered with than your customers
my local council are happy to accept stroma too, but to be honest with all the health and safety rubbish and PQQ's they want submitted, also their insistance on always picking the lowest tender as policy, im not really bothered with that type of work

if i maybe loose 5% of my work for not being registered with them i can afford it, ive been manic for years now and i like to think its because of me not because of a badge on my van

From another view point

i went from nic a c to stroma this year, works mostly domestic/commercial, i have found generally customers just want you to turn up and do a good job, dont really care about being registered, most are not even bothered about certificates that i issue, it seems electricians are so much more bothered who your registered with than your customers
my local council are happy to accept stroma too, but to be honest with all the health and safety rubbish and PQQ's they want submitted, also their insistance on always picking the lowest tender as policy, im not really bothered with that type of work

if i maybe loose 5% of my work for not being registered with them i can afford it, ive been manic for years now and i like to think its because of me not because of a badge on my van

We are all going to have our own reasons for who we use and why but one of the points I tried to get accross was I would never dream of choosing a particular scheme membership just because they were cheaper, like I said I have a lot of large companies on my books and they request Niceic so from a business point of view why would I try to change their minds, they pay me well for my services so get what they want.

We are all going to have our own reasons for who we use and why but one of the points I tried to get accross was I would never dream of choosing a particular scheme membership just because they were cheaper, like I said I have a lot of large companies on my books and they request Niceic so from a business point of view why would I try to change their minds, they pay me well for my services so get what they want.

Yes i would do the same in your situation too

Exactly the same reason i went with niceic, large customers asking for it

Reply to napit or NIC registration pros & cons in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock