Discuss Need a keyswitch that actually looks like a proper key in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening gents and gentesses,

have a customer with an electric actuated door on their wine cellar - like you do. The 'key' that the install firm fitted is just an ordinary EM test switch, so not exactly secure, and they'd like me to fit a proper one. But they'd also like one that looks like a nice impressive key/lock, not just an off the shelf workshop type. Either way, it needs to fit onto a wall plate (though could cope with some carpentry).

Anyone come across something suitable or got any bright ideas for an easy manufacture?

Maybe a numerical keypad lock might be easier, I've seen those in a format that fits into standard wall boxes.

Make one ...... chop deep box in, buy a key barrel with N/O or N/C contacts then get a rigid plastic stye blank plate drill hole - fit key assemble viola!!!

bet that aint cheap Marvo....

Not sure about prices TBH but I quite liked the look of it and the fact it's battery operated. That particular one is manufactured local to me so it would be worth finding a more local offering that's similar if you're in the UK.

If I found an old style surface fit mortice lock, stripped out the actual latch internals, might be able to fit a microswitch in there instead.... now that would look cool! In fact, if I got really smart I could keep the knob on it and use that as the momentary up/down opener with another set of N/O microswitches. Hmmm......methinks I foresee some workshop time ahead!

Have a word with Alarm man, i fitted a chubb style mortice lock earlier this year for an alarm company with a micro switch built in as a 'last man out switch'

^^^ top banana, mate. Will do.

used to use these chubb 5 lever mortice locks with micro switch on a lot of alarm systems. they were used to shunt the door contact to allow access without unsetting the alarm.used to be an insurance requirement back in the days of key operated alarm panels. most alarm wholesalers will be able to supply.

Evening gents and gentesses,

have a customer with an electric actuated door on their wine cellar - like you do. The 'key' that the install firm fitted is just an ordinary EM test switch, so not exactly secure, and they'd like me to fit a proper one. But they'd also like one that looks like a nice impressive key/lock, not just an off the shelf workshop type. Either way, it needs to fit onto a wall plate (though could cope with some carpentry).

Anyone come across something suitable or got any bright ideas for an easy manufacture?

you could recommend something like this,nice high security lock with a kabba key,nice looking key if thats your thing,drill your hole for the lock on a wooden face plate,depends on the decor replace with different wood style or a brushed ali face plate if its a modern type of house.

kabba lock
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/002b/0900766b8002b74f.pdf

face plate

plate.jpg

lock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Need a keyswitch that actually looks like a proper key in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock