Discuss Need some help here!!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jord35davies

HI,
DID A PARTIAL RE-WIRE THE OTHER DAY AND TOOK A LOOK AT THE SPOT LIGHTS ALREADY INSTALLED AT THE LOCATION WITH A FEED FROM THE MAIN SPOT LIGHT TO AN OUTSIDE LIGHT. BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS TYPE OF INSTALLATION BEFORE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

THE LINE(LIVE) FROM THE MAIN FEED IN TO THE SPOT LIGHT WAS TERMINAL BLOCKED WITH THE LINE(LIVE) TO A FEED TO THE OUTSIDE LIGHT.

THE SWITCHED LIVE FOR THE SPOTS WAS CONNECTED TO THE TERMINAL BLOCK.

THE NEUTRAL FROM THE MAIN FEED WAS CONNECTED IN A TERMINAL BLOCK. ALONG WITH THE NEUTRAL FROM THE LOOP TO THE OTHER SPOTS AND THE NEUTRAL FROM THE FEED TO THE OUTSIDE LIGHTS.

AT THE OUTSIDE LIGHT, THERE WAS A TERMINAL BLOCK WHERE THE LINE OF THE CABLE RUNNING FROM THE SPOT TO THE OUTSIDE LIGHT AND THE SWITCHED LIVE WERE CONNECTED.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hi, If I've understood the wiring correctly from your description, I
can't see a problem. Is the outside light an old PIR? One made before intelligent ones were available?
It may be that the switch for the outside light joins Line and Switched live of the PIR, so you can put the light on independant of the PIR. I've seen this done on an old garage PIR, only snag is if you if want to change the lamp/bulb in partial daylight you have to turn the breaker off or take the fuse out to be sure the PIR won't try to switch the lamp on.

Reply to Need some help here!!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock