Discuss Need some ideas - RCD tripping but everything tests fine.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RCBOs with a solid neutral are far from ideal with any earthing system.
If there is a neutral to earth fault then the rcbo will react by disconnecting the line and not actually disconnect the fault.
Thus it appears to the user that a fault has occurred but it is now disconnected because the protective device has operated, when in actual fact the fault is still there.
Plus of course you now have a portion of the neutral current from the entire installation diverting through the fault.

Additionally manufacturers have their own requirements for maximum Zs for correct operation of their single pole RCBOs, which may not be achieveable on a TT system.

The point that springs to mind here is that a N-E fault on a system with no RCD element will remain undetected with the same risk of neutral current diverting down the parallel path caused by the fault, at least with a SP RCBO the user will have an indication that there is a problem. I've not come across any manufacturers who give their own max Zs values for standard RCBO's, can you give an example of this?

The point that springs to mind here is that a N-E fault on a system with no RCD element will remain undetected with the same risk of neutral current diverting down the parallel path caused by the fault, at least with a SP RCBO the user will have an indication that there is a problem. I've not come across any manufacturers who give their own max Zs values for standard RCBO's, can you give an example of this?

yes a circuit without RCD protection won't have any means of detecting a N-E fault, however what it does do is disconnect all of the faults it is designed to detect and is capable of protecting against.
The rcbo does not disconnect all of the faults which it is designed to detect or protect against.

The first one that springs to mind is the little company known as Schneider, particularly the part of it formerly known as Merlin Gerin.

TBH if I have these sort of problems with a single RCD install I don't waste a great deal of time if IR tests with everything connected are good. Advise to change to RCBO's. Whatever you do nuisance tripping is almost inevitable with such an install, even if you find a problem chances are something else will trip it before long and then you'll be back again for SFA because "I've already paid you once to fix it". A single RCD don't comply any more anyway!
why does a single rcd not comply

^^ you shouldn't install single up front RCD's any more - a reg about minimizing inconvenience - can't remember the reg number..

I know I've read somewhere about SP RCBO's not being suitable for TT systems but cant remember where and am still sceptical. In fact on our last NICEIC visit I asked the question and got a blank look.
If anyone can shed any light......
On Site Guide page 20, then 32, 33 and 34.
Says:
Full RCBO CU with main switch suitable for TN and TT.
Twin RCD CU with main switch only suitable for TN
Twin RCD CU with 100mA time delayed RCD suitable for TN and TT.

Many other configurations are also talked about.

No, it's tripping at 19mA on ramp test with everything on. (23mA disconnected). So there is nornally 4mA leakage.
I realise 8M is a bit low....
Think I'm gonna invest in a leakage clamp meter and have a deeper look - if I get called back that is - still no tripping 48 hrs on......

I tried what you are doing, but I ramp tested a tripping RCD at 19mA with all circuits on, then again at 19mA with all circuits off. Then I purchased a leakage clamp meter and found the leakage is 19mA with all circuits turned on. And soon identified the kitchen ring as the biggest leakage of 10.5mA.

I tried what you are doing, but I ramp tested a tripping RCD at 19mA with all circuits on, then again at 19mA with all circuits off. Then I purchased a leakage clamp meter and found the leakage is 19mA with all circuits turned on. And soon identified the kitchen ring as the biggest leakage of 10.5mA.

Ouch... so its almost certainly accumulated leakage causing the tripping.

You'll find the earth leakage meter VERY handy

and 10/10 for your feedback ..... so many people don't!

No Murdoch, this guy is not the OP , I am!!!!
I haven't fed back yet because I haven't had to go back to the job yet, it's still not tripped since I swapped the RCD (and I still haven't got round to buying me earth leakage tester yet...)
So it's looking more like a faulty RCD now.... (as unlikely as that seems).
I won't sing too loudly yet as I think it will trip again......

Ok that kinda proves that my method of ramp testing RCD with & without loads connected is not too reliable. Thanks for the info mate, I will go and buy a clamp meter!

Ok that kinda proves that my method of ramp testing RCD with & without loads connected is not too reliable. Thanks for the info mate, I will go and buy a clamp meter!

Someone was asking me about the model of my clamp meter last week. Below is my reply
=================================
They do not make my clamp meter any more.

The nearest equivalent to mine is the metrel md9272 “Metrel MD9272 AC DC Leakage TRMS Clamp Meter - http://isswww.co.uk/metrel-md9272-ac-dc-leakage-trms-clamp-meter?gclid=Cj0KEQjwg47KBRDk7LSu4LTD8eEBEiQAO4O6r3YH-bGd0Dcc_TU7AGRy_t-V1zjTKssQGjcsBeudrN4aAhcx8P8HAQ” but at £300 it is over £100 more than I paid, and I got the cheapest I could find.

Have a look at megger dcm300e “https://www.test-meter.co.uk/earth-leakage-clamp-meter/megger-dcm300e-earth-leakage-clampmeter-ac/” which is roughly the same price.

The best value at the moment if you want a cheap leakage meter is TM-EL9809 Earth Leakage Clamp Meter “TM-EL9809 High Resolution AC Earth Leakage Clamp Meter - https://www.test-meter.co.uk/earth-leakage-clamp-meter/tm-el9809-earth-leakage-clamp-meter/#product_accordian_product_reviews” which is advertised as a resolution of 0.01mA at a cost of £115 so a good price but I do not know if it is accurate or reliable, although they do offer a calibration certificate so it appears to be accurate.

Someone was asking me about the model of my clamp meter last week. Below is my reply
=================================
They do not make my clamp meter any more.

The nearest equivalent to mine is the metrel md9272 “Metrel MD9272 AC DC Leakage TRMS Clamp Meter - http://isswww.co.uk/metrel-md9272-ac-dc-leakage-trms-clamp-meter?gclid=Cj0KEQjwg47KBRDk7LSu4LTD8eEBEiQAO4O6r3YH-bGd0Dcc_TU7AGRy_t-V1zjTKssQGjcsBeudrN4aAhcx8P8HAQ” but at £300 it is over £100 more than I paid, and I got the cheapest I could find.

Have a look at megger dcm300e “https://www.test-meter.co.uk/earth-leakage-clamp-meter/megger-dcm300e-earth-leakage-clampmeter-ac/” which is roughly the same price.

The best value at the moment if you want a cheap leakage meter is TM-EL9809 Earth Leakage Clamp Meter “TM-EL9809 High Resolution AC Earth Leakage Clamp Meter - https://www.test-meter.co.uk/earth-leakage-clamp-meter/tm-el9809-earth-leakage-clamp-meter/#product_accordian_product_reviews” which is advertised as a resolution of 0.01mA at a cost of £115 so a good price but I do not know if it is accurate or reliable, although they do offer a calibration certificate so it appears to be accurate.

That is really helpful mate, and hank you for that. Above and beyond! Much appreciated. Have a great weekend.

OK - just for a bit of feedback - I spoke to the lady this week, still no tripping of her RCD. (Think that's 3 weeks now). So I am becoming quietly confident that it was a dodgy RCD, and the new one has solved her problem (despite the 8MOhms IR to earth... and the poorly designed installation with one RCD upfront...)
I've advised her about upgrade to RCBO but she's not interested due to cost!

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions and thoughts, out of this thread has come some enlightenment and spurred me on to buy a leakage clamp meter.

Weevilward

Reply to Need some ideas - RCD tripping but everything tests fine.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock