Discuss Nest Thermostat Installation in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

Ian Tait

Hello all

New to this forum but hoping to get some great advise. I have purchased a nest version 3 thermostat with a heat link. My boiler is a potterton suprima 40, and has what seems to be a simple 3 wire programmer. There are only 3 connections for this programmer labeled CH out, DHW on, DWH off.
On the nest heat link there is 3 wire connection for the central heating and 3 wire connection for the hot water, Can any one out there let me know how to wire this up

Many thanks

Ian

Welcome.

What instructions came in the box? Have you contacted the supplier?

That won't work very well!

Why is that then? All depends how the programmer is wired at the minute 1 is heating satisfied, 2 common, 3 heating on, 4 hw satisfied, 5 common, 6 hot water on. Am i wrong? All depends if he knows how to adjust connections at 3 port valve to remove original thermostat assuming its a y plan.

Hi Ian,

I'm new too - in fact this is my first post, but I've installed quite a few nests.

First thing that you'll need to do is remove the existing room thermostat cable (usually a 3 core), as the nest is now working as the programmer & room stat in one.

Depending on your type of system it will effect your wiring, I'll assume you have a Y plan considering the fact that you have a 'hot water off'.

Your three wire connections for heat / DHW are as follows

1 - CH Normally Closed
2 - CH Common
3 - CH Normally Open
4 - DHW Normally Closed
5 - DHW Common
6 - DHW Normally open

As such you'll need to link a live feed across from your L terminal to 2 & 5.

CH ON Will need to be connected to 3
DHW OFF Will need to be connected to 4
DHW ON Will need to be connected to 6

These connections should return to your mid-position valve, make sure you leave the cylinder stat in circuit, and there isn't too far you can go wrong from there.

Cheers.

Reply to Nest Thermostat Installation in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock