Discuss Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest 004

Went to a job today, twin and earth, and it had been wired 2 plate, which of course meant that all the switches had the neutral taken to them.

WTF, if I had done that in my apprenticeship I would have been kicked off site.

Is this how things are done now, god I hope not.

It's a more convenient way of wiring downlighters, wall lights, or any other fitting without a 3 plate rose.
That said I'm not too keen on doing that in houses if I can help it.

Why not ask yourself ''what's right with it'' ??? Unless there is an actual need for a neutral at the switch point, then there shouldn't be any neutral conductors there, really very simples!! lol!!!

It;s been done like this for years..................agreed I was taught loop in/out at the ceiling and that is considered the norm, but would have no problems with an installtion done with neutrals in a switch ...........

Is there a reason you don't like it?

It;s been done like this for years..................agreed I was taught loop in/out at the ceiling and that is considered the norm, but would have no problems with an installtion done with neutrals in a switch ...........

Is there a reason you don't like it?

If there's no need for a neutral at the switch, then No i don't like it. A lot of this looping neutrals at the switch is more by laziness than for any real need. If you were wiring an outside light , fine bring a neutral to the switch. For down lighters, what's wrong with keeping the neutral conductor in the ceiling void??

Last edited by a moderator:
Its much easier and safer making off terminations at switch height as opposed to hanging off steps ten foot in the air.

I was just writing that. As I said I was taught the conventional way, but there as been many a time when you have a loop in, loop out, and S/l/live up in a ceiling rose, where I wish there was just the one cable there, and I can mess about at the switch doing this.

I was just writing that. As I said I was taught the conventional way, but there as been many a time when you have a loop in, loop out, and S/l/live up in a ceiling rose, where I wish there was just the one cable there, and I can mess about at the switch doing this.

Is it o.k takeing a Zs measurement at the switch though......

IMO it works better, especially when you consider that a lot of decorative light fittings make no allowance for loop-in at the rose. I can't see how you could consider it lazy though, if anything it is more work.

If there's no need for a neutral at the switch, then No i don't like it. A lot of this looping neutrals at the switch is more by laziness than for any real need. If you were wiring an outside light , fine bring a neutral to the switch. For down lighters, what's wrong with keeping the neutral conductor in the ceiling void??

Yeah cracking idea!, loop the Neutral in a JB or some other nastiness and then hide it somewhere in the ceiling void! top idea that

Reply to Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net