Discuss New and got an electrical problem in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I'm toria, I'm 33 and I rent a council property I have no electrical training but know how to change a plug etc basic house things.
I'm looking for some info if possible My electric tripped at 2.10am and my other half came and woke me up as I've lived in my residence a while I sort of know how to check the fuse box etc (he doesn't)

I've figured it out to be a kettle that is tripping my fuse box in a double socket within the kitchen, but the kettle is just tripping the RCB and not the other switches I've also moved the kettle from one double socket to another double socket and it still trips the RCB so my question is :
Is it the kettle thats broke? Or is it the sockets in my kitchen that are tripping the RCB, as my kettle is tripping the RCB I don't know if the fuse is working should I just buy a brand new kettle and hope for the best? Or do I change the fuse first?
Thankyou so much for reading and any help you can give me is much appreciated.

Your kettle has failed and caused a fault to earth. This is what is tripping the RCD.
If the RCD does not trip when the kettle is not used then the solution is to get a new kettle.
The MCB for the socket circuit that the kettle is plugged into will not trip in this case because the fault is to earth and the RCD will trip before the MCB operates.

Welcome, have you fixed your issue?

nah Pete. like chips. it's the sauce that makes them. same as Scousers make the Mersey.

Yeah I can tell I'll fit right in here thanks guys and girls ,
I still have a slight problem though my kettle works fine now and it's not tripping the box anymore but as it's on a double socket the socket closest to my window seems to be working fine, but the second socket doesn't seem to be putting any power out.
My mother called the other day for me to charge her lawnmower power box up and I plugged it into said socket its suppose to be able to charge within an hour but 3hours later it was still dead as a door nail.
How do I find out if my socket is actually working am I to get in touch with my council as its a council property we live in or is there something I can try myself. I have to note I'm pregnant so I don't want to be messing on with live electronics (and I know they technically won't be live as you have to turn the electric of first) if I can help it.

Hi Toria: As it's a Council property then you need to contact them about your socket & they should send someone to sort it.
Your kettle could simply have had a bit of water spilt on the base & that was causing a problem, as it's dried out then the fault would be gone.

Congratulations on the pregnancy by the way :)

as you are in rented property, it's the council's responsibility. the only thing you can do is to plug in a known working appliance, say a table lamp, and see if it works. if not, phone the council to replace the socket.

Reply to New and got an electrical problem in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net