Discuss new build 1st fixing with insulation! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
afternoon guys
how would you go about 1st fixing this...
would the builder usually batten/stud out- then board- or will they be wanting to board straight onto the walls??

only meet the client so far (not builder)

IMG_0322.JPG

IMG_0323.JPG

IMG_0324.JPG

Tackers will board straight on to the wooden structure, its up to you to work out/design cable sizes and runs etc. Are you an electrician ? Domestic is the most basic electrical work there is.

They normally put kingspan between the timbers and then board over. I'd speak to the builder and work with him to get conduits in place with cables installed.

not done a new build as yet- hence my question thanks for telling me my jobs....whats yours?

HUM.... if you had included the fact that you only visited for the first time yesterday then you may have got better responses....

Last one I looked at like this, the builder expected the 1st fix to be done over a weekend so as not to hold up his schedule .... needless to say I declined to get involved...

They normally put kingspan between the timbers and then board over. I'd speak to the builder and work with him to get conduits in place with cables installed.
In all honesty I would have expected to see most of the wiring already installed prior to the insulation going in, it's going to be a right Pig of a job now, when you quote for this install you will need to take the issue of removing, (Where necessary any insulation) best to let the Builder and Client aware of this, It will add considerable time and costs to the job. Both Builder and Client have jumped the gun on this particular project, it's not only electrical work, there will be plumbing and heating works as well, the Project Manager (if there was/is one) want's a stiff talking too.

@J.C.E Thing is mate, the client should have got you involved long before this. If you'd been called in at the start you & the builder could have worked the job between you. Now they've put you on the back foot playing catch up, your first thing has to be a meeting with the builder.
Hopefully he'll be one of the tidy builders & work with, rather than against you.
It's to his advantage to get the 1st fix Electrics & Plumbing in, so he can progress the job. Good luck.

@J.C.E Thing is mate, the client should have got you involved long before this. If you'd been called in at the start you & the builder could have worked the job between you. Now they've put you on the back foot playing catch up, your first thing has to be a meeting with the builder.
Hopefully he'll be one of the tidy builders & work with, rather than against you.
It's to his advantage to get the 1st fix Electrics & Plumbing in, so he can progress the job. Good luck.
all as I though tbh- just the same as elec 1stfix would be done prior to any celotex or rockwool.
but wern't sure if in these new builds they batten out- sort of like they do in a tanked basement- so to give you space to wire. but oviously not!

Hi J.C.E: No mate once insulation is in, it's normally straight over boarding.

As for your 1st New build, don't worry about it buddy we've all been there & at some time all asked for advice. That's what the forum is here for.
The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask but know you should have.

Last edited by a moderator:
afternoon guys
how would you go about 1st fixing this...
would the builder usually batten/stud out- then board- or will they be wanting to board straight onto the walls??

only meet the client so far (not builder)

View attachment 36570

View attachment 36571

View attachment 36572
It's a shame that people can't just reply with a helpful idea, rather than using derogatory insults as after all it's an electricians forum used to discuss electrical issues.
Hope you get sorted with the build :)

Reply to new build 1st fixing with insulation! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net