Discuss New Build Development Pricing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nlbhoy

I'm looking for some help/guidance with the prices I've put together for a new build development
of 30 houses, I've not yet submitted my bid as I'm looking for some constructive feedback from
anyone who has experience pricing this type of work.

Job is based in Scotland.

I've not had much experience pricing this type of work.

Houses are typical 3 and 4 bed semi's, nothing fancy.

3 bed has around:

23 sockets
8 tv/bt points
3 fans
11 switches
11 pendants
5 smokies/heat
cooker
heating/combi boiler
Main board + testing
gas bonding
mains door bell

I've priced it up per point @
£40 per socket/bt/tv
£100 per fan
£25 per switch
£25 per pendant
£80 per smoke detector
£125 cooker
£150 heating
£300 main board + testing

These prices per point are cheaper than I would usually charge doing extensions/ conversions etc

total price came to about £3500 for the 3 bed semi. I estimated around £1500 for materials and £800 labour. After the 5% retention and 2.5% main contractor discount there would be approx £800-900 profit, not including overhead which is minimal.

Is this to cheap? I would like to get the job as it's around 18months of work, but on the flip side
I would also like to make some money from this.

looks pretty good to me. I mainly do new builds and from the info you've given based on a 3bed semi my price would be roughly £3600. you don't have any external lighting? For that price I wouldn't be providing/installing an aerial.

looks pretty good to me. I mainly do new builds and from the info you've given based on a 3bed semi my price would be roughly £3600. you don't have any external lighting? For that price I wouldn't be providing/installing an aerial.
Yeah, there are 2 external lights, I priced them around £90 each. They were in the total price but I forgot
to add them on the list above.

I'm not supplying/installing an aerial, just running them to the loft and making ends off.

There is a sure stop switch and the wiring of a future shower that I also forgot to put above, but are in the total price.

Yeah, there are 2 external lights, I priced them around £90 each. They were in the total price but I forgot
to add them on the list above.

I'm not supplying/installing an aerial, just running them to the loft and making ends off.
I worked it out based on the info at the time and come just shy of 3.3K then put 10% on top of the whole lot and come to £3.6K. With two external lights and a shower supply I would be more around 3.8K. Being in the south though does mean my prices will normally be a little higher.

I worked it out based on the info at the time and come just shy of 3.3K then put 10% on top of the whole lot and come to £3.6K. With two external lights and a shower supply I would be more around 3.8K. Being in the south though does mean my prices will normally be a little higher.
Thanks for that.

Very helpful.

Your price is about the same as ours would be. We lost out on 5 x 3bed semi-detached with a similar spec last month. The firm that won them are doing them for £2250.00 each!

Doesn't surprise me judging by the standard of work in some new builds I've seen recently.

It certainly didn't look like anybody with any pride in their work/a decent amount of knowledge or experience was involved.

Your price is about the same as ours would be. We lost out on 5 x 3bed semi-detached with a similar spec last month. The firm that won them are doing them for £2250.00 each!

That's because they use unskilled workers and some poor QS has to sign it off.

There's a 300 house estate going up near me and what I can see is not good, so what is hidden behind the plaster board?

I've just been out on site to visit a spark (regarding a different job) But he was on a new build estate, around 30-40 houses, There was 4 fully qualified sparks, and the rest were just agency supplied mates, Some with no experience at all. The electrical company won the contract due to them being thousands cheaper than any other, But the sparks on site are tearing their hair out having to try and work with all the agency lads as well as actually get things done to a decent standard. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I've just been out on site to visit a spark (regarding a different job) But he was on a new build estate, around 30-40 houses, There was 4 fully qualified sparks, and the rest were just agency supplied mates, Some with no experience at all. The electrical company won the contract due to them being thousands cheaper than any other, But the sparks on site are tearing their hair out having to try and work with all the agency lads as well as actually get things done to a decent standard. Recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Unfortunately this happens a lot and IMO is more rife with commercial work than domestic. Sainsbury's new build near me had 4 sparks and 15 mates/improvers/agency staff. With domestic its the domestic installer generation that seems to be the most hassle to compete against but if you're in with a half decent builder they wouldn't even entertain the idea of such on site as they want to see qualifications/JIB cards.

I made myself a spreadsheet that I can put the cost of materials into, and the price per man hour, and what is asked for by the customer/drawings. It will work out a very rough cost which it multiplies by 25% as a safety margin. It works enough for me, but only for new builds and rewires where the building is going back to brick and ceilings dropped.

That said, it can't factor in non-standard building methods, or customer quirks. I use it for estimating mainly. Fairly easy to set up on excel or similar.

dosnt it also depend on what area... ie north of england tends to pay lower prices etc

Think just that a Mate from Lincolnshire (north side) way did a job in some village down Kings Lynn way for about £6000 whole rewiring (i think I've had this story in my head too long the values and locations have change to protect the innocent) but someone from Cambridge are put in a offer of £11'000.

North Lincolnshire is Nearly all dead apart from the Farms, where Cambridge and Norwich way you are getting people buying 2nd Homes now so the money is there. But the prices of one area can be a lot cheaper than the others. <Wow i express that well :( sorry >

Last edited by a moderator:
remember to make money back off customer extras, and have a Boarded and Non boarded price. Check for extras before starting so the incompetent builder cant play the blame game!

Reply to New Build Development Pricing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock