Discuss New Build Home with plasitc CU in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning all, this is my first post.

I visited a new home yesterday to look at a small job (outside socket) & I asked to see the fuse board.

I was surprised to see a plastic housed split rcd board - Not a metal one. (usual domestic mount, i.e. not in a metal enclosure etc)

Bearing in mind this house was completed 2 months ago, this is way after the regs change last year.

Its on a fairly large development by Taylor -Wimpey with some houses not yet finished.

Anyone else seen this & how do they get away with it?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :).

Is it housed in a fire resistant enclosure?

What are the dates on the sign off for the electrics, bearing in mind work started before the regulations came into force may be subject the the regulations prior Jan 1st (As far as I can recall), all new installs, boards changes etc started after Jan 1st would be subject to that particular regulation.

It's the design date that matters, not the install date. The electrical installation design for a new house may have been done many months ago. See top of page 5 in your BYB.

the amendment 3 regarding metal CUs does not apply yo commercial, only domestic.

It's the design date that matters, not the install date. The electrical installation design for a new house may have been done many months ago. See top of page 5 in your BYB.

Just for info.

The third amendment to BS 7671:2008 Requirements for Electrical Installations was issued on 1st January 2015 and
is intended to come into effect on 1st July 2015. Installations designed after 30th June 2015 are to comply with BS
7671:2008 incorporating Amendment 3:2015.
Transitional provision: Regulation 421.1.201 does not come into effect until the 1st January 2016.

So all designs after 30th June 2015 should have been designed to amendment 3.

Welcome to the forum :).

Is it housed in a fire resistant enclosure?

What are the dates on the sign off for the electrics, bearing in mind work started before the regulations came into force may be subject the the regulations prior Jan 1st (As far as I can recall), all new installs, boards changes etc started after Jan 1st would be subject to that particular regulation.

The op has not told us,that the offending unit,may be housed in a Superlux cupboard,with an Auto-Halon system...:crowngrin:

Just for info.

The third amendment to BS 7671:2008 Requirements for Electrical Installations was issued on 1st January 2015 and
is intended to come into effect on 1st July 2015. Installations designed after 30th June 2015 are to comply with BS
7671:2008 incorporating Amendment 3:2015.
Transitional provision: Regulation 421.1.201 does not come into effect until the 1st January 2016.

So all designs after 30th June 2015 should have been designed to amendment 3.

That's my thought. I questioned this back in May during my annual assessment & the Stroma guy insisted that any boards fitted after July 1st had to be non combustible. Usual ambiguous regs, we could all suggest that we designed a new install 3 years ago...

Sorry to clarify, as I said its a standard domestic mounting - not in any type of enclosure.

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

working as a subby on a 26 floor block of flats for barratt homes at the moment....still putting plastic hagers boards in- but like people are saying- i think if the design was agreed before jan 1st

Reply to New Build Home with plasitc CU in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net