Discuss New build timber framed problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The trouble is although architects are often perceived as intelligent professionals common sense isn't that common.

I can't say I've ever perceived the modern ones as such!

We had a couple we worked with regularly when I was an apprentice, proper old-school traditional architects who respected the tradesmen and actually discussed things. They even drew plans by hand, to scale, with dimensions and good notes!

Doesn't anyone have site meetings with the architwat on jobs like this any more?

No, nothing at all its all by email. I've recently been brought on board and called round earlier to see this garbage.
I find it incredible how these places get built with no thought to electrics/plumbing
Seems every new build i do you have to scrape by to get wires in and comply with the good old regs.

I think the consensus is counter batten the ceilings Don't know what the walls are like but could not some of the RFC etc. cable runs go in horizontal to the sockets

I bet if you ripped the battens off and pulled that quilt insulation back it would reveal some joists. How else has wet pants plumbed it? Probably a case of impatient builder not waiting for you to first fix. Tell him to get the mongo labour in with a hammer to rip that insulation back.

I done a house similar to this last year. The company who supplied the timber frame was Scandia-Hus and the insulation looks the same. The builder reckoned the insulation was nearer the £200 mark a roll. The insulation was stapled to the rafters and studs. The studs were cross battened and the ceilings were dropped just enough to get down lights in using MF. The house wasn't far off passive house status.

That insulation is always made redundant anyway, as soon as you nail it on you create thermal bridging reducing the insualting properties by minimum 40%

Architects give me headaches. They design everything with the smallest of tolerances because it if meets code it meets code. Sure it can be built and maintained but if they used their head a little bit and designed with more room in mind, installation would go much faster and be cheaper in the long run. As Ian said at the top of the page, maintenance rewiring on this is going to be a nightmare.

I love architects. They're so deluded. The rewire I'm doing at the moment has no measurements or consideration for routing pipes/cables.

I once had a fire alarm call point marked in the middle of a doorway! It even showed which way the door handed, I was so tempted to drop a 20mm steel in the middle of the hallway and send the pic to the architect for his critique!

Back on topic, batten off the ceiling, collingwood halers h2 fit in a 60mm void. Notch and joist plate cable routes, plasterer will hate you but that's pretty standard anyway. When they call you for any modifications in years to come tell them they'll have to have surface trunking, that'll be a laugh!

I bet if you ripped the battens off and pulled that quilt insulation back it would reveal some joists. How else has wet pants plumbed it? Probably a case of impatient builder not waiting for you to first fix. Tell him to get the mongo labour in with a hammer to rip that insulation back.

Hi, plumber is ok its UFH. All piping is going in concrete floor so he's sorted.
Theres no builder really its a timber frame company who have built and insulated the shell. Insulation is stapled really tight so I would basically make it a right mess pulling it apart.
Customer is enquiring on battening ceiling out which hopefully happens.

cheers for help guys, much appreciated.

This company does a lot of kit type construction for the self build market a gang comes along and erects the frame in a couple of days then goes off site they would not come and go around trades it would not surprise me if there is a joist above insulation.

Reply to New build timber framed problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock