Discuss New business start up; a few questions. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

ApacheTech

Hi,

I'm currently writing up a business plan for a new company in the North West; the main disciplines I will be working in are Web Development; Software Development; Risk Based PAT Testing; Cyber Security Training; Social Engineering Awareness Training; and Computer Repairs and Maintenance.

Most of the work is contractual, however the Risk Based PAT Testing will be a source of regular income on a monthly basis, with a lot of seminar and freelance style work in-between. I'm not expecting to make a fortune from PAT Testing, but my ethos is:

"Providing Enterprise level services and support for small business and micro-enterprises".

I'm focussing mainly on small businesses, micro-enterprises and sole-traders because of the work and research I've carried out during my dissertation this year.

I have a couple of questions that I cannot find answers to online.

How many items, on average, would you expect a small business to have? I know this varies from business to business, but I'm just after a very bal park figure to use for my pricing strategies. For instance:

• Independent Retailer (Tech)
  • Family Run Shop (General)
  • Small Office
  • Used Car Lot/Breakers Yard
  • Nursery
  • Community Centre

It would be nice to have a Light, Medium and Heavy average for the purposes of financial forecasting.

2. Is using the PAT Testing Distance Learning DVD going to be enough? I have a background in Electrics and Electronics; I have a firm knowledge of Electrical Theory and Electrical Engineering and I have an IET Accredited Honoues degree in Computing and Networking. I have also done some Level 3 Diplomas in Workplace Safety and Health, Project Management and Electrical Studies via ALISON online. Is it worth forking out for the C&G 2377 22 and 32, or should I start with the qualification from the Distance Learning DVD and take the course if I find myself in over my head?

3. Can you do a Electromechanical NVQ while PAT Testing, in order to diversify to be a full Electrician?

4. Is it possible to work towards professional registration with the IET through starting off in PAT Testing or working as an Electrician?

5. How saturated is the PAT Testing market at the moment? I know the changes made in 2012 have put some people off starting up or carrying on with PAT Testing. In my immediate vacinity, there doesn't seem to be anything, but I'm not sure about the North West. I'm looking, realistically, in a 25 mile radius of Chester.

6. Is much of the information you can find online still valid, after the changes made in 2012 to the CoP? There seems to be a lot more emphasis now on merging PAT Testing with traditional Risk Assessment; has there been a shift away from PAT Testing being within the remit of the Maintenance Dept. and more towards the Health and Safety Officer's remit? How has this affected our jobs as outsourced labour?

Thank you for any assistance you can give. Questions #1 and #2 are the greatest concern at this time.

PAT has degenerated into how many stickers can you attach in a day at 50p a go, enough to make it pay.

Weren't the 4th Ed. changes supposed to protect businesses against con-men like that?

AS Above how is Murdoch's comment irrelevant when you are asking us about PAT testing

Maybe, try answering what I have asked. Question #5 asked about a specific geographical area. A blanket wide shrug off the shoulder is not helpful to the discussion. Murdoch, do you have first hand knowledge of the industry, within the specified area of concern? If so, please elaborate. If not, your statement was irrelevent.

and PAT is the only part of your OP that has any relation to electrical work. the rest is well outside of an electrician's scope, so how can we help with that? and wtf is social engineering. the 2 words are incompatible and unrelated.

Maybe, try answering what I have asked. Question #5 asked about a specific geographical area. A blanket wide shrug off the shoulder is not helpful to the discussion. Murdoch, do you have first hand knowledge of the industry, within the specified area of concern? If so, please elaborate. If not, your statement was irrelevent.

I know this to be fact and I live in the so called "affluent" south.

Maybe you should open your eyes and appreciate ALL feed back you are getting!

Industry lol, a chimp can pat test, and many do at 50p an item, to earn 30k a year after tax and to run a van and to have the right insurance means you will have to work 18 hours a day 7 days a week to earn a living, the fact there are not many companies advertising Pat testing in your area is probably because there are a couple of large electrical contractors who own the market in your area and you will struggle to get a bit of the action.

Depends on what you class as a small business, if 10 staff then maybe 30 items, thats 15 quid for you.

I put some handy examples up in the OP. :D

If you are a trainee please let us know, we can assist you with a real answer not a sarcastic one and there is a trainee area for you where mentors are willing to help.

Hi, I'm a trainee. I've placed a few questions at the beginning of this thread. Would you be able to walk me through some answers to my queries? They're not difficult questions, and I've given examples to clarify my question where they are needed, such as in Question #1. I'm not interested in making a lot of money from this one line of work; as I have said in my opening remarks, this is only one part of the business plan I am writing, but it is just as important as the rest of it. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

"Providing Enterprise level services and support for small business and micro-enterprises".

What are "enterprise level services"?
Wouldn't a "micro-enterprise" automatically be a small business?
If you're throwing stuff like that into a business plan you may as well use "thinking outside the box"or "blue sky thinking"

I put some handy examples up in the OP. :D

Hi, I'm a trainee. I've placed a few questions at the beginning of this thread. Would you be able to walk me through some answers to my queries? They're not difficult questions, and I've given examples to clarify my question where they are needed, such as in Question #1. I'm not interested in making a lot of money from this one line of work; as I have said in my opening remarks, this is only one part of the business plan I am writing, but it is just as important as the rest of it. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The boys have already answered your questions.
The PAT, or to be correct, ISI&TEE business is a dead dog.
The established testing companies have got it sewn up, paying pennies to agency workers.
You stand NO chance in starting a new business in this game.

Honestly, find something else to do!!!

The boys have already answered your questions.
The PAT, or to be correct, ISI&TEE business is a dead dog.
The established testing companies have got it sewn up, paying pennies to agency workers.
You stand NO chance in starting a new business in this game.

Honestly, find something else to do!!!

So far, Q1 has had a very short answer, but no detailed answer, using the examples given. Q5 has been done to death, regarding saturation. The other questions haven't been touched.

Yes, this thread is confusing. I didn't think it would be this hard to get some answers to what really are some very simple questions.

Reply to New business start up; a few questions. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock