Discuss New circuit to the shed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think there is a massive shortage of experienced operatives in a lot of professions out there at the moment. Even those with experience are chasing their arses due to legislation and bureaucracy changing every 30 seconds.

In my opinion, from what have seen, the Government are only interested in Apprenticeships for the higher end jobs, don't get me wrong please I'm the last person to assume or say that the trade of an Electrician is NOT at the higher end, far from it.

Craft Apprenticeships seem to me to be far from the thoughts of the Whitehall Mandarins whose job it is to make sure the skill shortage is narrowed.

During my working life it was not a surprise to me that many of these people treated the likes of Sparkies, Chippies in fact most all of the construction industry, especially the Domestic area as a bit of a joke, you know the sort of thing, you only have to listen to some of them, "oh I need to get a man around to come and fix my whatever" with no thought whatsoever of the training, not just Electricians, but the other trades as well have to go through.

Until these Cretins realize that a 5 week course does not produce a decent Trades person, there are of course exceptions. Far too many times have we seen, heard about unskilled people practicing a trade that took skilled people years to learn.

I'm not having a dig at anyone, unfortunately that's how it is done these days, and good luck to you, my gripe is with National Government for not seeing further than the nose on their faces, thinking "oh well we have set up all these training centers that will be good enough" well I have news for you guys, it isn't good enough. Bring back Apprenticeships in the engineering field for School leavers, just liuke it used to be, yes yes, I know get back in your cave Pete, but it worked didn't it.:mad::po_O:smilingimp:Rant over

In my opinion, from what have seen, the Government are only interested in Apprenticeships for the higher end jobs, don't get me wrong please I'm the last person to assume or say that the trade of an Electrician is NOT at the higher end, far from it.

Craft Apprenticeships seem to me to be far from the thoughts of the Whitehall Mandarins whose job it is to make sure the skill shortage is narrowed.

During my working life it was not a surprise to me that many of these people treated the likes of Sparkies, Chippies in fact most all of the construction industry, especially the Domestic area as a bit of a joke, you know the sort of thing, you only have to listen to some of them, "oh I need to get a man around to come and fix my whatever" with no thought whatsoever of the training, not just Electricians, but the other trades as well have to go through.

Until these Cretins realize that a 5 week course does not produce a decent Trades person, there are of course exceptions. Far too many times have we seen, heard about unskilled people practicing a trade that took skilled people years to learn.

I'm not having a dig at anyone, unfortunately that's how it is done these days, and good luck to you, my gripe is with National Government for not seeing further than the nose on their faces, thinking "oh well we have set up all these training centers that will be good enough" well I have news for you guys, it isn't good enough. Bring back Apprenticeships in the engineering field for School leavers, just liuke it used to be, yes yes, I know get back in your cave Pete, but it worked didn't it.:mad::po_O:smilingimp:Rant over
No need to get back in the cave Pete, it is true. The same successive governments have run the country down over years, selling off our assets and utilities, looking only for short term gain with no planning or thought for the future, and flooding the place with cheap labour. Now we are in a mess that will only get worse.

Agree Pete But its not just the "trades" nurses and doctors are getting less too because its "cheaper " to import them.
Its unsure What will happen in the future Maybe BREXIT will help with this but I wouldn't hold my breath.

QUOTE="mykey, post: 1237577, member: 80962"]Agree Pete But its not just the "trades" nurses and doctors are getting less too because its "cheaper " to import them.
Its unsure What will happen in the future Maybe BREXIT will help with this but I wouldn't hold my breath.[/QUOTE]
Very true Mykey. I sometimes wonder if it's not all been a big plot, surely no Government is useless enough not to train enough doctors and nurses for our future requirements? It's like setting off to a job and leaving all your gear at home. I reckon they just think they can import them and save a few quid to pay out to shareholders.

I've been doing my current job as a Detective for nearly 30 years. At the moment there is a massive shortage of detectives which is being made worse by the unrealistic workloads that are being placed on officers at the moment. They cannot recruit for love for money at the moment.
Starting salaries for new officers have been reduced and at the same time potential new recruits now have to pay for a diploma in policing studies and more recently get a degree before applying! The youngsters that are joining now are finding that there are no experienced officers out there to teach them, and few of those that do teach have been there and done it (sound familiar?). At the moment people are leaving faster than they can recruit. Still, we'll have a few more years of austerity and eventually that big old wheel will turn full circle when those who know how are all gone. I also heard that the Royal Navy are up the creek without a paddle cos there are no experienced engineers to operate the new carriers.

Agree Pete But its not just the "trades" nurses and doctors are getting less too because its "cheaper " to import them.
Its unsure What will happen in the future Maybe BREXIT will help with this but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I realise mykey my post only mentioned the allied trades, but by no means did I mean to leave out the other hands on types.

Fat cats take note, we aren't going to lie down and become another decimal point in your annual returns.

I've been doing my current job as a Detective for nearly 30 years. At the moment there is a massive shortage of detectives which is being made worse by the unrealistic workloads that are being placed on officers at the moment. They cannot recruit for love for money at the moment.
Starting salaries for new officers have been reduced and at the same time potential new recruits now have to pay for a diploma in policing studies and more recently get a degree before applying! The youngsters that are joining now are finding that there are no experienced officers out there to teach them, and few of those that do teach have been there and done it (sound familiar?). At the moment people are leaving faster than they can recruit. Still, we'll have a few more years of austerity and eventually that big old wheel will turn full circle when those who know how are all gone. I also heard that the Royal Navy are up the creek without a paddle cos there are no experienced engineers to operate the new carriers.
So typically true. My mates lad wanted to be a copper all his school years. Big, strapping lad he is, and clever as well. Even joined the cadets I believe. When it came to it, he had to jump through hoops to do all sorts of crazy tests, interview after interview, and so on. In the end he got turned down, but the powers that be apparently gave a job to an Asian lass to "reflect the operational diversity" of the force. Five foot one she is bless her, she couldn't tackle a Sunday lunch never mind a villain.........And what the Hell is all this carp about needing a degree to join up? What a load of rubbish the world has definitely, without any doubt, gone mad. I tell you, we are doomed.....

BREXIT,nurses,doctors,immigrants,coppers,detectives,chickens, eggs and fat cats......essential to bring all of these into the process of deciding how best to install a new circuit to a shed!
Off topic or what...!:p
Just goes to show how complicated a shed installation can be.

So typically true. My mates lad wanted to be a copper all his school years. Big, strapping lad he is, and clever as well. Even joined the cadets I believe. When it came to it, he had to jump through hoops to do all sorts of crazy tests, interview after interview, and so on. In the end he got turned down, but the powers that be apparently gave a job to an Asian lass to "reflect the operational diversity" of the force. Five foot one she is bless her, she couldn't tackle a Sunday lunch never mind a villain.........And what the Hell is all this carp about needing a degree to join up? What a load of rubbish the world has definitely, without any doubt, gone mad. I tell you, we are doomed.....
You probably need a degree in computer maintenance to be police officer. All the IT systems are out of date and keep crashing. Lots of work for sparks though, who seem to be permanently on site running cables for this that and the other. I spend more time trying to detect people and departments within my own organisation that I do criminals.

BREXIT,nurses,doctors,immigrants,coppers,detectives,chickens, eggs and fat cats......essential to bring all of these into the process of deciding how best to install a new circuit to a shed!
Off topic or what...!:p
but at least the recent posts have shed some light on what is wrong with this country.

Reply to New circuit to the shed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net