Discuss New CU but no water bonding... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Whilst I agree that if the water enters the building in plastic, then it probably doesn't require bonding, however, if the water pipe goes to a boiler, it may then become extraneous if the incoming gas enters in metal. As most boilers use a metal manifold that will ultimately bring the water pipes to the same potential as the gas pipes. The only real way is to test the incoming pipes.

Jay

Whilst I agree that if the water enters the building in plastic, then it probably doesn't require bonding, however, if the water pipe goes to a boiler, it may then become extraneous if the incoming gas enters in metal. As most boilers use a metal manifold that will ultimately bring the water pipes to the same potential as the gas pipes. The only real way is to test the incoming pipes.

Jay
Something can't become extraneous just because it's connected to something else that is. It's the gas pipe that introduces the potential, so that's the extraneous part.
Unless you're referring to a situation where the boiler is in an outhouse or similar, in which case each metal pipe that goes to or from the boiler could individually be an ecp where it enters the building.

In a scenario where a plastic water service pipe enters an installation, it is clearly not fit the definition of extraneous conductive part. Similar, the continuation of the service into the property , again in plastic would not be consider extraneous. When a plastic service enters a property, and continues on in metal, then a test could be made to establish if it was extraneous.

However, (I have read and been previously advised) that to conduct that test correctly, all cpc's and other possible parallel paths (like bonded gas pipes to boilers e.g.) would have to be negated, to obtain a true reading, i.e. if those cpc/bonds were removed at a later date. It is also possible, the internal service could be altered, and could be come extraneous.

Which is possibly why I seen very large numbers of plastic services, with their metal internal bonded, or is it a habit out of nature (following like sheep). Its easier to install bonding, rather than retrospectively add it, perhaps. In fact, I have always seen such bonding in place. I note that the OSG recommends bonding of metal services, after plastic, unless it has been confirmed its not introducing earth potential.

However, my previous post was not about main protective bonding, but the application of reg 528.3.4, which will require further reading and seeking guidance. Thoughts?

Sorry Tel, that's 5.

In a scenario where a plastic water service pipe enters an installation, it is clearly not fit the definition of extraneous conductive part. Similar, the continuation of the service into the property , again in plastic would not be consider extraneous. When a plastic service enters a property, and continues on in metal, then a test could be made to establish if it was extraneous.

However, (I have read and been previously advised) that to conduct that test correctly, all cpc's and other possible parallel paths (like bonded gas pipes to boilers e.g.) would have to be negated, to obtain a true reading, i.e. if those cpc/bonds were removed at a later date. It is also possible, the internal service could be altered, and could be come extraneous.

Which is possibly why I seen very large numbers of plastic services, with their metal internal bonded, or is it a habit out of nature (following like sheep). Its easier to install bonding, rather than retrospectively add it, perhaps. In fact, I have always seen such bonding in place. I note that the OSG recommends bonding of metal services, after plastic, unless it has been confirmed its not introducing earth potential.

However, my previous post was not about main protective bonding, but the application of reg 528.3.4, which will require further reading and seeking guidance. Thoughts?

Sorry Tel, that's 5.

Has the topic lost its flavour on the bed post overnight?

Reply to New CU but no water bonding... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock