Discuss New dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Papa

Again, I'm hoping this is in the right forum. If not, please don't hesitate to say so...

That said, the back story is that I just bought a new dryer. Because I'm an idiot, I didn't check the power cord before purchasing, and now that it's in my home I notice that it has a nema 14-30 plug. I don't have a 14-30 outlet in the apartment, although I do have 2 normal north american 3-prong outlets next to the dryer and what looks like a 14-50 outlet across the room that the stove is plugged into.

Is there a solution to this? Is it possible to adapt the normal 3-prong outlets or even the nema 14-50 outlet? Is there another option? Or should I pull my hair out and sell the dryer?

Thanks so much for any help. I'm really a newbie. Thanks again.

Ring the store you bought it from and see if they sell an adapter for it or ring a local electrician as per the above post we are UK based.

Good luck

Chris

Again, I'm hoping this is in the right forum. If not, please don't hesitate to say so...

That said, the back story is that I just bought a new dryer. Because I'm an idiot, I didn't check the power cord before purchasing, and now that it's in my home I notice that it has a nema 14-30 plug. I don't have a 14-30 outlet in the apartment, although I do have 2 normal north american 3-prong outlets next to the dryer and what looks like a 14-50 outlet across the room that the stove is plugged into.

Is there a solution to this? Is it possible to adapt the normal 3-prong outlets or even the nema 14-50 outlet? Is there another option? Or should I pull my hair out and sell the dryer?

Thanks so much for any help. I'm really a newbie. Thanks again.

Having worked in the US I am going to try and give you an answer.

You can not use your nema 5 (normal 3 prong outlets) as these are 115V outlets and your appliance is 230V.
I would not recommend that you try to adapt your lead to a nema 14-50 socket as this is rated and protected at 50A and is generally used for cookers.
What you could do is replace your 14-50 outlet with a 14-30 and install a 30A circuit breaker.

Reply to New dryer in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net